Deep Lake Trip Pictures

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Deep Lake Trip Pictures

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave Weyrick
      Participant

Sandy and I just got back from a trip to Deep Lake. I hope you’ll enjoy the pictures I’ve posted at this link. http://www.flickr.com/photos/37464455@N00/sets/72157607460571805/

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

Beautiful photos. It is unfair to the rest of the beautiful shots to pick out a favorite, but this fish spoke to me.

allison
          Participant

Dave, you should really try washing your hands from time to time–that little beauty’s making you look like Pig Pen. 😆

Hans Helm
            Participant

Dave and Sandy, What a great looking trip. You know your a Trail Blazer
              when you can still smile in the rain.

Dave, congratulations! you finally got your King Bolete!
              Must of tasted great with the fish.
              I think that beautiful big white fungus is one my Mom found a while back. It looks like a califlower type. Nevertheless, I would say it’s edible.
              But anyone interested should of course use a very good mushroom book!

Great pictures. Nice fish too, Thanks for sharing. Hans

Dave Weyrick
              Participant

What do you think about sharing info of this degree of specificity on public websites? Might this cause too much concentration of use? This is the same type of info I now put on HL’er posters, which I share at HL’er meetings, fish club slideshows, WTA Trailsfest, and displayed for a month at Central Market in Poulsbo. My goal (besides bragging) is to increase use, therefore advocacy, without causing the concentration of use resulting in abuse.

Brian- That shot is currently my desktop.

Allison- That’s exactly what Sara said when she saw that shot.

Hans- Thanks buddy! We found and ate many King Boletes around Deep Lake; delicious!

Hans Helm
                Participant

Hi Dave, I just posted this note on the FFA also
                  My response to your note above is that I feel with all the internet traffic and fishing guide books nowadays, the result has been a saturation of sportsmen sharing pictures of high lakes, and fish.
                  With so much of it going on, I feel the market has been bombarded to a point where fishermen have a confusing high amount of choices of lakes to drop a line in. With that in mind, I hope this would ultimately lessen the impact of a bunch of people all hitting the same lake.
                  And I might add, I feel we need to remain cognizant in revealing very sensitive areas that for instance need to recover or lakes so small and have so few fish that it may not be in the best interest of the enviornment
                  to make these public. Hans

Sandy McKean
                  Participant

This one might not be beautiful, but I call it:

“Dave can’t be bothered to cook”

Dave Weyrick
                    Participant

I posted a set of photos from my Lime Ridge Trip at the following link.

Rivord Pano 2

Hans Helm
                      Participant

Wow, great pictures, Dave. Wish I could of been there with you.

How were the kings. I got some chantrells. 8)

Andy Schmidt
                        Participant

@smckean wrote:

Is that fish going in or coming out?

Mark Harris
                          Participant

What is the coral looking fungus I see you have a picture of? I noticed a few of those on the White River trail a two weeks ago.

RPBrown962
                            Participant

Sandy,

KM recently asked me to check out our forum here and give my opinion of the picture you posted. He had some concerns about what kind of message the picture might be sending. Since I find KM one of the more sensible, down-to-earth members of our fine organization I decided to take a peek.

Before I get started, my assumption is based on the fact that anyone with a computer and internet access can view the messages on the forum. I tested it with one of my email addresses not recognized by the site and sure enough I could view everything everyone posted.

You know, I know….all the TB’rs know the picture was a joke. But what would someone that just happens to stumble onto our site that doesn’t know anything about us? How would we be portrayed? My concern is that it shows that we have very little respect for the resource we strive so hard to professionally manage. I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch that some people could certainly come to that conclusion after viewing the picture.

I’m mostly going to echo many of the things you’ve already said but it bears repeating: we stock non-reproducing (sterile or functionally sterile) in very low densities thereby having extremely minimal/no impact on native biota. Furthermore, most of us practice catch/release using barbless hooks to prevent injury to the released fish.

Personally, I think the appropriate place for a picture such as this is a “members only” area, not the open internet.

I’d like to make it clear to anyone that reads this forum that we take great pride in the lakes we manage and take our valuable resource very seriously.

On a lighter note….see ya’ll this weekend.

Dave Weyrick
                              Participant

Rich, HL’er & TB’er members, other forum users, those who just happened to stumble on this thread,

Thanks to all who have taken the time to view this thread and its linked photos. My intent was to share some pictures from trips that don’t usually appear on the public side of the internet to start a discussion about the pros and cons of this practice.

First, a note about the degree of sharing I have chosen. The two picture collection links in the thread include a map of the area in question without any off-trail route information. Pictures included have no caption information indicating exactly where they were taken without prior knowledge of the viewer. The intention is to show photos and fish from an area in our back country to encourage others to use the area and explore on their own without concentrating usage resulting in abuse. To repeat what I posted earlier in this thread; this is the level of sharing I have chosen for the ‘HL’er Poster Project’, started about a year ago for HL’er meeting attendees. When displayed at HL’er meetings, HL’er & TB’er Winter Social, fishing club meetings where I have presented a program, WTA Trailsfest, I share more specific information with those persons who engage in a conversation with me. Usually the interested person tells me about their experiences in the area and we end up trading information. So, the intent is really three-layered: 1) share some pretty pics with the non-hiker/fisherman; 2) encourage the hiker/fisherman who has not been in the area to expand their horizons; 3) challenge both myself and those hiker/fisherman familiar with the area to get to those hardest to reach lakes.

The picture Sandy posted of the fish head in my mouth and the four cleaned fish was taken at Deep Lake. Deep Lake is a reproducing CT and RB lake which would benefit from some increased fishing pressure. Fewer fish competing for the lake’s limited resources would lead to larger fish, imo. I would think this disclaimer relieves any ideas the general public might have about disrespect to a fragile fish population; the Deep Lake fish are not such a population, from what I could see. In my experience, HL’ers and TB’ers keep fish when it is wise to do so (over-reproduction, mature non-reproducing). To say we are all catch and release all the time or is just not true, imo.

I hope more discussion of degree of information available to the general public would occur. Are inclusion of the two links to photo essays too much information to include on a public website? Dave Weyrick.

Sandy McKean
                                Participant

I must say I don’t understand the objection to the photo I posted of Dave and my trip to Deep Lake.

I posted that photo as a humorous addition to the series of photos Dave posted on Flickr. As far as I know, only Ken McLeod has objected to the photo. Now he has inticed Rich Brown into his fold (or was it the other way around??). Perhaps Ken didn’t see the caption I placed on the photo. I repeat it here:

“Dave can’t be bothered to cook”

Those who know me either personally or via my previous posts to this forum know my VERY high level of commitment to and respect for the alpine fishery. I challenge anyone to deny the impressive track record I have in terms of contributions to the fishery over the last 15 years. In addition, as Dave points out above, Deep lake is a perfect lake from which to harvest fish since the fish population in Deep Lake needs thinning. I find it hard to believe that anyone but a vegetarian would object to Dave and I catching, cleaning, cooking , and eating those fish while in camp (in a delicious potato and fresh mushroom stew BTW). It seems to me to be more honest to catch and clean one’s own meat than to go to the local Safeway, buy a package of meat, and then to pretend to oneself that one is not responsible for the slaughter house that did the nasty part for you conveniently out of sight.

I happened to snap a photo of Dave “fooling around” while he was cleaning those fish. The photo is meant as a joke. I readily concede that there is such a thing as a “bad joke” — and perhaps this photo is a bad joke. But it didn’t strike me that way.

I either made a good joke, or a bad joke…..I’ll let the American people decide :-).

Mark Harris
                                  Participant

So no one can help me identify the fungus in picture IMG_3781?

Brian Curtis
                                    Keymaster

I had an idea about that mushroom, but when I looked up the details I realized I was wrong. It is a coral mushroom of some kind, but beyond that I can’t identify it.

Mark Harris
                                      Participant

@Brian Curtis wrote:

I had an idea about that mushroom, but when I looked up the details I realized I was wrong. It is a coral mushroom of some kind, but beyond that I can’t identify it.

I think I found the name of it: Hericium americanum, AKA Bear’s Head, icicle musroom, or Lion’s Mane.

Not to be confused with Cauliflower mushroom.

Brian Curtis
                                        Keymaster

Nice job tracking that down. It must be Hericium abietis. H. americanum is only found east of the Great Plains.

John Motz
                                          Participant

Hey Dave. Nice fish . Injoyed reading this and have fished deep lake myself.

Tom Bentzen
                                            Participant

Great pics and a nice report Dave. Those fall colors are just spectacular. You guys were lucky you didnt get rained on! :mrgreen:

A couple of hard core and dedicated lake fishermen for sure. Cuddo’s to both of you.

:fishing:

Tom

SWH
                                              Participant

Thanks for the Lime Ridge pictures Dave. That is some neat country. I was there in 2000. We came through from the Whitechuck River via Fire Mountain. Got rained on for 2 days straight at Milk lakes. I really wish they could get some of the roads fixed up here. Once again, thanks for the Pics.

Brian Curtis
                                                Keymaster

They are going through the public comment period for the White Chuck road repair right now. It looks like they’ll probably only repair it as far as the Rat Trap Pass road and decommission the last 5 miles or so.

SWH
                                                  Participant

Thanks Brian. Where can comment at? I was up the Whitechuck road last summer and the last 5 miles is in good shape.Its the first 5 miles that are really hammered.

Brian Curtis
                                                    Keymaster

You can get all the information here.

The failures on the lower part of the road were because of the rivers and streams while the 4 failures on the upper section were slumps due to unstable slopes. There are lots of pictures of destruction and detailed explanations in the EIS.

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.