Triploids

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      windrider00
      Participant

Are triploids solely rainbow trout or can they be produced of the other trout species? If so, is creating triploids of other trout species something that might be in the works?

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

They can make triploids out of any trout. They’re also working with EBs and CT. The jumbo triploid program uses RB that were bought from Troutlodge. Those fish are hatchery raised and stocked at jumbo sizes. High lakes triploids will be stocked as fry.

mcmahon2005
          Participant

So there size will be relative to the amount of food they have. So they will just be normal trout that cant reproduce?

Brian Curtis
            Keymaster

Once trout reach sexual maturity they start consuming a lot of energy in the production of gametes and either spawning, or resorbing their gametes. If food supplies are scarce all their energy will be shifted and they will no longer grow in length. Triploids should not produce gametes so they should grow better in years 4 and onward. And there is a possibility they could live longer because the stress of spawning is gone.

mcmahon2005
              Participant

If a lake has 8-10 inch regular trout, how big do you think the triploids would get?

Brian Curtis
                Keymaster

I don’t know. That’s a really good question. I’m guessing that there is a maximum length at which there will be only enough food to maintain body weight and not add size, but I don’t know what that is. I’m guessing that in a stunted lake it might not be much larger, but that’s pure speculation so it isn’t worth much.

McPilchuckblazer
                  Participant

It should also be said that (at least in Snohomish Co.) some sportsmen’s clubs have united in an effort to stock local lowland lakes, footing the bill for the triploids…providing more than the WDFW has money for in their own progarm for said lakes. The Reel News and Puget Sound Anglers, Everett Salmon & Steelhead Club, and the Snohomish Sportsmen’s Assc. are the main folks to focus money in that avenue. Silver Lake will get its first ever Triploid plant this spring BTW.

McPil

Sandy McKean
                    Participant

It should also be said that (at least in Snohomish Co.) some sportsmen’s clubs have united in an effort to stock local lowland lakes, footing the bill for the triploids…..

Just to be perfectly clear. NO sportman’s club stocks lowland lakes, or any other body of water, on their own. Such clubs may advocate for such stockings, they may provide manpower and money for such stockings, but ONLY the WA Dept of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) can authorize such stockings. It is illegal to stock waters in this state without explicit authorization from the WDFW.

What McPilchuckblazer means to say is that these sportsmen’s clubs are assisting the WDFW with time and money to get these lakes stocked with triploids.

mcmahon2005
                      Participant

Yes, we all know that only the WDFW can stock lakes, i think we had a long discussion on another thread.

Sandy McKean
                        Participant

Yes, we all know that only the WDFW can stock lakes……

I don’t see how you can be sure that everyone knows this. Statements such as:

“sportsmen’s clubs have united in an effort to stock local lowland lakes”

could easily create the impression to a new comer to this forum, or to a new comer to high lake fishing, that somehow individuals or private organizations stock lakes completely independently of any gov’t supervision. I’m curious how it is that you think this misunderstanding could never happen.

The absolute WORST thing that could possibily happen to the high lake fishery is if some yahoo thinks they can “help” by taking fish from one lake to another, or can “help” by buying fish at a private hatchery to stock their favorite lake which in their judgment has “gone barren”.

Emphasizing that stocking is ONLY permitted under WDFW supervision can never be said done too often, and certainly when stmts like above are made which could be misinterpreted (however innocently the initial stmt may have been made).

P.S. I know McPilchuckblazer personally, and I know he knows that the WDFW must authorize stocking. I also know he didn’t mean to create the impression I am concerned about; but that does not mean that some newbie wouldn’t get the wrong impression anyway if this thread stopped at his msg.

McPilchuckblazer
                          Participant

Well, excuse me, perhaps I should have said “in conjunction” with the WDFW stocking lowland lakes. But hey, I am not Mr. Perfect, and the last so called Mr. Perfect died on the cross. At any rate, my statement that Sportsmen Club’s have united in an effort to stock (help further aid the effort to boost the lowland trout fishery into a more desirous one for the overall public) local lowland lakes, is sound I believe. Perhaps I should have included the above wording, but nontheless, without the aid of these club’s and their rasied funds, some of these local lakes wouldn’t have a boost if not touched by the Dept. with triploids. One can argue it brings out a few slob fisherman who over partake, but it sure as Hell puts a smile on many a kids face. Plus the fact, that most of these lowland lakes can’t support any kind of wild fishery…facing the fact it is a put-&-take fishery and always will be if the public wants it. And IMO, without a lowland triploid fishery, you have little except for catchables to fish for. “There are those who love this fishery and who don’t fish high lakes like many of us here in this forum, for that, I endorse the said fishery without question.”

McPil

mcmahon2005
                            Participant

Let me revise my statement. “Only the WDFW can approve stocking a lake.”

Ohh, and i didn’t mean to sound like i did. I just remember the same thing that went on for a while on another thread.

McPilchuckblazer
                              Participant

mcmahon, I don’t think you or I gave the impression the clubs are the only nones stocking the lakes,that it is being done without the WDFW approval, like you said all one has to do is read the threads. At any rate, I think smckean (a friend of mine) is overreacting here a bit. Having said that, he is correct in his statement about WDFW approval and having control over the stocking. Nontheless, for any newbe out there, I didn’t mean any club can stock a lake as it pleases. If any of my previous statements were misleading, sorry. Now, go enjoy the triploid fishery that some local clubs are helping pay for and aiding in the stocking process…specifically: Lake Stevens, Blackman, Tye, Silver herein Snoh. Co.

McPil

mossback
                                Participant

I’m on Sandy’s side. So far as I am concerned, too many fishers (women fish, too) want to see THEIR kind of fish in lakes . . . and DON’T KNOW HOW FISH GET INTO A LAKE. Walleye is a classic example. Spiny Rays is another example. Why and how do sunfish/croppie/especially bass/etc. get into isolated lakes with no outlet? (Fortunately for Washington, we don’t have walking catfish in this state.)

Here’s an example of how one lake was saved from being contaminated: One mountain lake near another mountain lake has Goldens in it; the other lake has CT (with big heads because of overproduction). Fortunately for fishers, a fisherman sent letter to WDFW (actually, regional biologist, I think) asking if it was OK to catch fish in the “other” lake and take them to the lake with Goldens. The answer was/is obvious.

Anyway, I don’t think there is too much publicity or emphasis or verbalization on NOBODY (that’s no one, no person, no group, etc.)SHOULD STOCK (put) FISH IN ANY MOUNTAIN LAKE (or any lake) WITHOUT APPROVAL OF THE DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE. – Mossback

McPilchuckblazer
                                  Participant

mountains and molehills as far as I am concerned…blown way out of proportion here IMO by both of you…Virg and Sandy. I don’t think I gave the impression at all that clubs do the stocking without approval, especially in high lakes for that matter. If you read it that way…Nuts to the both of you.
                                    McPil

Sandy McKean
                                    Participant

Ken, I’m sorry you feel that way.

Frankly, I think you are misunderstanding the concern that Virg and I have. No one is accusing you of saying that any clubs stock fish without proper authorization from the WDFW. There is no problem with what you said as far as it goes. I certainly know what you meant, as likley would most others who frequent this forum.

However, what I’m concerned about is not you, but some new or uninformed person who might read a post like yours, and out of not knowing any better, think that clubs or individuals can stock lakes all on their own if they think it is a good idea. You said that no one would think that if they read all the posts in this forum. I would agree with you on that, but there is no guarantee that such an uninformed person would read other posts in this forum. For all we know, someone simply does a Google search, finds this thread, reads it, and then reads nothing else.

I can’t see the harm in making it CLEAR that such stockings must be authorized by the WDFW. Look at my initial follow-on post to yours. I say: “Just to be perfectly clear.”……that’s ALL I was trying to do…..make it clear.

Why that should upset you I don’t understand.

mossback
                                      Participant

Well, Sandy was more tactful than I intended to be. We did NOT intend or imply that you were a liar or wrong or whatever you thought we accused you of being. We merely extended your statement/s to say, in essence, “be sure to get approval from WDFW before putting fish in lakes–whether you are an individual or a member of a club.” – Mossback

McPilchuckblazer
                                        Participant

I have no further comment on this subject except: “with approval of the WDFW” the Snohomish Sportsmen’s Club ans Everett salmon steelhead Club spearheaded the triploid stocking program about 5 years ago in Blackman Lake, well before the WDFW considered it as an overall program in generall for other lowland lakes, by recommending the Trout Lodge bows be stocked there and putting up the money every year since for specific plants. Since that success, the WDFW by public request has come on board with the more wide spread triploid program statewide. This came right from the horses mouth from some of those club leaders “today” in conversation with them. Added: Most of these fish are released from tthe Trout Lodge Co. trucks and not the WDFW rigs. Tho again, the said lake (lakes I mentioned) are approved for such triploids by the WDFW, without some of the clubs funding few would have been planted over the past few years, and I am giving credit where credit is due here, so I am being “perfectly clear” regardless of WDFW having the sole power to approve.

McPil

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.