A Question…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      brownster145
      Participant

“Last year, while on the Billy Goat Loop trail in the Pasayten, (A five day, 55 mile adventure) I came across one Fawn Lake. It was roughly 2 miles after emerging from the the Ashonla River Valley. It was a very pristine and secluded lake. It contained a high population of unusually large west slope cutthroat. I’m talking a good 13-16″” average. Could any of you trailblazers (I’m not a member, just an admirer) provide some information as to when this lake was/is stocked that might explain the phenomenal fishery? Thanks. “””

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

“Fawn was last planted in 1989 and 1996. Fish can live to be 12 years and older in Pasayten Wilderness lakes. I don’t know the size distribution of the fish you caught, but that size range could be explained by either planting. I don’t know enough about the fishery there to say one way or the other, but there could be some limited natural reproduction contributing to the catch, too.^^^^In general, fish will grow very quickly for the first 3 years. At that point they reach sexual maturity and the production of gametes takes a lot of energy. Where lakes are overpopulated fish will grow slowly and then completely stop growing as all energy is put into egg and sperm production and you’ll get a lake full of 8 fish. If a lake is extremely productive and the population of fish is low enough the fish will put on a lot of early growth and then keep growing after they have sexually matured. Most lakes fall somewhere in between. They will keep growing after 3 years, but only very slowly. ^^^^A couple years ago there were a ton of logs across the trail to Fawn. Are those still there or have they been cut out?”””

brownster145
          Participant

“The logs indeed remain. The obstruction slowed me down by at least an hour. From what the ranger said, that portion of the trail has not been maintained in over 25 years, which would explain its poor condition. She also said that abandonment of the trail was being considered. (To me it seemed it was somewhat abandoned already.) Apparently the cost would be so high to restore it that they see abandonment as a better option. ^^^^One thing is for sure. There is no easy way into fawn. It’s either 40 miles going clockwise around the loop, 10 of those on an unmaintained trail, or 15 miles taking the reverse side of the loop, with roughly 7000 feet in elevation gain and loss. ^^^^Either way, I will return someday. Thanks for the info.”

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.