Accessible High Lakes

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Accessible High Lakes

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      johntylerfrank
      Participant

I am new to this site and new to fishing in WA – moved here 5 years ago, east side of the mountains. Two years ago I took some boy scouts up to base camp at Waptus, and fished up at Ivanhoe and Spade and it was INCREDIBLE – the views, huckleberries, the fish. We were on a 50 mile hike on the Pacific Crest Trail. I have been reading the forums a bit and it seems this is the time of year to go up (we went up in late august). I have a new set of scouts and I would love for them to have the high lakes experience – pulling trout every cast up in the the cascades. They don’t need to be big – half of my boys have never caught a fish. Is there a good high lake, that has a shorter hike? We are looking for an overnight camp up at a lake. I am fine with it being a hard hike, we need to push the boys, but something short – 3 to 8 miles one way. Waptus was a ten mile hike in, and then another 7 up to Ivanhoe or Spade – with the boys in school now, we don’t have that time. I would prefer to go back to that same general area, around Cle Elum, but I am open to all hikes. I realize I might be spoiling these boys who have never caught a fish, but I don’t want these boys missing out on one of the best outdoor experiences of their life… Thanks

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

Rachel and the Rampart Lakes would be a good trip. It is a popular area, but the scenery is outstanding and everybody should be able to catch fish. Spectacle Lake is another stunner with too many fish, but a bit longer then your target distance. But the first 4 or 5 miles are dead flat so it goes quickly. Either Alaska or Joe Lakes up Gold Creek would push them harder then the Ramparts.

allison
          Participant

I think the Joe trail is gone but Alaska is a good choice.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.