Alpine lake raft on the market

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Alpine lake raft on the market

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      the quadfather
      Participant

I come to this forum periodicly, but don’t see much activity here. I wasn’t sure where to maybe post this link, so I give it to you here.
        I came across this local (Issaquah) company that is making a Alpine lake raft that folds up into 9×12″ and only 2.5 lbs. Maybe some of you are interested.
        I have nothing to do with the company or there sales, just wanted to let people know about it.

http://flyweightdesigns.com/default.aspx

Sandy McKean
        Participant

Many of us who frequent this forum have seen information on this light weight raft. A number (including me) have expressed concern that the seams are on the outside of the raft. As a result, there may be a strength issue (but perhaps not); in addition it’s hard to imagine there wouldn’t be chaffing issues (for example, on your arms). But I don’t know anyone yet who has actually tried one of these rafts.

P.S. There is a fellow in Seattle who is attempting to produce a raft almost identical to the famous “Curtis Raft”. I’ve seen a prototype, and it looks excellent. It is even lighter than the Fly Weight Design product. Cost will likely be in this same range. This new raft may be available commercially fairly soon (this year??).

the quadfather
          Participant

@Sandy McKean wrote:

P.S. There is a fellow in Seattle who is attempting to produce a raft almost identical to the famous “Curtis Raft”. I’ve seen a prototype, and it looks excellent. It is even lighter than the Fly Weight Design product. Cost will likely be in this same range. This new raft may be available commercially fairly soon (this year??).

Good point on the chaffing seams issue, I didn’t think about that. Do you have a link to the raft that is being designed which you spoke of?

Sandy McKean
            Participant

Do you have a link to the raft that is being designed which you spoke of?

No, but keep watching this forum. I’m pretty sure that he will post an announcement on this public forum when he is ready to offer the rafts commercially (my guess it will be within the year).

Andy Schmidt
              Participant

I’m the guy Sandy mentioned that’s working on a Curtis inspired raft. The raft and accessories (paddles + inflation bag) are ready to go. I’m wrapping up a few loose ends on the business side of it then I’ll start selling them to the general public. I don’t have a web site.

Weights:
                raft: 750 grams
                inflation/storage bag: 70g
                2 paddles: 130g
                total: 950g (33.5oz)

Here’s a picture from a test drive. Note: cedar shingle paddles were for testing only.
                [flickr:23b4zqy0]Arboretum Test Drive[/flickr:23b4zqy0]

Anonymous

Do these little rafts have multiple air compartments ?

ie. if you get a leak while crossing a lake with your pack are you kind of screwed…

Also does somebody make hike pole paddles for these ?

Sandy McKean
                  Participant

Do these little rafts have multiple air compartments ?

ie. if you get a leak while crossing a lake with your pack are you kind of screwed…

No multiple air compartments. But that’s not as bad as it sounds. You can’t really use these rafts without putting a therarest in the bottom to insulate you from the cold water. You’d freeze your buns without it. On an overnight, you have the thermarest anyway; on a day trip the extra weight is not an issue. The therarest acts as a life presever if required. True, it won’t help your pack, but at least you won’t drown in cold water. OTOH, in my experience packs usually float for a long time anyway. I know of no one who has lost a pack using these rafts (the percentage of time your pack is with you isn’t typically very large).

Also does somebody make hike pole paddles for these ?

The small hand paddles are perfect for these rafts. They move thru the water with very little force required. A long-ish pole would just get in the way. The down side of how easy they move is that wind will blow you all over the lake (unlike a float tube), but there is no way around that……not at this weight.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.