Are these flies gonna do? (pics)

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Are these flies gonna do? (pics)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      bavnuts88
      Participant

What else should I get before going up to the lakes tommorrow?
        Any must haves?

Im going to Dorothy and surrounding lakes up Miller River road. Taking a spinning reel too.

mcmahon2005
        Participant

Those look like decent flies. Up on the alpine lakes, youll mostly want to go subsurface. the dries have their time, but 95% of the time youll catch your fish on wet flies. The beadhead nymphs in the lower right corner of the top picture should be good. Some must haves for you to get sometime are:

size 12 and 14 Hares ear soft hackle.
          size 12 and 14 royal coachmen wet flies
          size 12 and 14 zug bugs

Im sure if you go to a fly shop with that list they would set you up. Ohh, and make sure to buy more than one of each fly. If you only have one of one kind, it is inevitable that you will lose it when it is the only thing that will work.

mcmahon2005
          Participant

One more thing, make sure to get some clear plastic casting bubbles ( the twist on ones) They will allow you to still fish with flies if there is no room for backcast.

bavnuts88
            Participant

I called up the ranger station and they said the fishies have been rising a lot lately on Dorothy, but no fishing reports

Brian Curtis
              Keymaster

Dorothy has eastern brook, coastal cutthroat and probably some westslope cutthroat.

bavnuts88
                Participant

I took your advice and went and got the flies you listed. Thanks. Ill let you guys know what happens

mcmahon2005
                  Participant

Ok, it will be nice to hear a report, the action is a little slow on this site. well anyways, good luck.

bavnuts88
                    Participant

I noticed that. Seems like my life revolves around fishing. Ill be on here often.
                      If there were tons of people on here, everybody would know aboot these lakes and the fishing might suck. Not like its hard to find out aboot them, but you know what I mean

mcmahon2005
                      Participant

Ya i know what you mean, most people dont like to say exactly where there going and how the fishing was. Seems like there used to be people giving reports but not mnaming the place. Might just be me tho.

bavnuts88
                        Participant

I know a couple spots back home, but not up here. Just got a GPS a bit ago, so I might try to look for the smaller, more secluded lakes

Brian Curtis
                          Keymaster

Seeing how this thread is going I’m going to have to post a picture. Here’s the lake you were heading toward, McMahon…

mcmahon2005
                            Participant

that a pretty nice lake, ill have to make the trip next year, now that i kno to take the trail less travelled (maybe not but it sure looks less travelled)

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.