Boots

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Cliff Church
      Participant

“Hello, I have a question about boots, if you don’t mind. It became painfully obvious to me this past weekend on my stocking trip, that my well used and too-small-in-the-toebox Vasque Sundowners just aren’t up to the task of steep off trail hiking and boulder fields, etc. We actually talked about this as we ate our lunch up on the ridge. Steve B. has a pair of older Raichles with the wide & thick Norwegian/Goodyear welt, full shank and d-ring lacing rings. He was telling me that this boot has been discontinued by Raichle. He mentioned that Jonathon was looking for a good replacement for this boot, too. My question is, can someone tell me the model of this discontinued boot? Sometimes you can find these at auction or in used sportings goods stores. Years ago I used to have a pair of Danner Backpacking Boots”” which were the forerunner of their Mountainlite boots. These older boots were heavy, had a full shank and large aggressive vibram sole on a thick norwegian welt. I could sidehill in those things all day while chukar hunting in central Washington. My feet grew out of those boots and I’m now looking for a good replacement. I have looked extensively at the Montrail Moraine AT, and it’s a heck of a boot, but since it sits high on a platform without that wide Norwegian welt, I’ve heard that some of my chukar hunting buddies fall a lot when sidehilling down the mountains. I should mention that I have short wide feet, and so I’ve stuck with Sundowners as my main on trail shoe because they come in widths. Still, I’ve had to get Dave Page to stretch these boots once already. So I’m in the market for a boot similar to that older Rachle boot. Danner no longer carries a boot like that, and my search has taken me to custom bootmakers such as Limmer, Viberg Boots, up in B.C., and another custom bootmaker in Oregon. I would appreciate hearing from you experienced off trail hikers as to your boot suggestions. Thanks for your time.^^Cliff Church “””

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

“I used to use the Raichle’s, too, but I’ve gone to slightly lighter boots in recent years. I also have a wide foot and my main criteria for a boot these days is fit. I had a pair of Sundowners. The sole separated from the upper 3 days into an 8 day trip in the Sawtooths. I knew they were starting to go but I figured I’d get the rest if the season out of them. I was wrong and ended up walking on the soft inner sole of both boots for several days. Luckily that stuff was hardier then I expected. I got my last boots from LL Bean. I was extremely skeptical of buying mail order but my dad got a pair and I liked the fit so I bought a pair. They have been excellent and I bought 3 more pair when they went on sale. Bean boots come in wide sizes and their return policies are excellent. They won’t give you the same feel as the Norwegian welt Raichles, but they are a solid pair of boots that I highly recommend.^^^^Here’s they are at LL Bean.

Brian Curtis
          Keymaster

“I guess links aren’t colored on this board. Click on LL Bean”” at the very end of the above post to go the the page.”””

Jonathan Leathers
            Participant

“Well I have a pair of the OLD Raichle’s as I found out they were not gonna make them for REI anymore and went and bought a pair. I know others that did as well and they still have them new in a box in their closet just waiting for the ‘old ones’ to fall apart. ^^^^I don’t use mine much only ecause they weight just over 5 lbs, so I only use them on long off trail hikes when I really need them, plus I want them to last since they can’t be replaced. There may be some places in Europe that still make them this way but they must be expensive, just for the labor to make them not to mention that 5mm think leather is not cheap.^^^^I’ve seen guys with running shoes on off trail, go figure but I guess if they are comfortable with this kinda light stuff between them and sore feet that is up to them. Nothing I’ve ever used has protected my feet the way the Raichle Montagnas have, I just wish they weren’t so heavy I’d use them every trip.^^^^Just found some on ebay Item # 952044902 “

Jonathan Leathers
              Participant

“Here is another on Ebay 11 wide even, I may have to bid on those.^^^^Item # 952631171 “

Jonathan Leathers
                Participant

“Here’s one I’ve never heard of HanWag but the item number is Item # 951167419 ^^^^They still make welch stiched boots and here is thier web site, don’t know if you can buy them from???^^^^http://www.hanwag.de/^^^^Click on Hochalpin and them Cima and you will see them, they look heavy!!!:P”

Brian Curtis
                  Keymaster

“Jonathan, I don’t think the boots in your first ebay post (952044902) are Montagnas. They are the ones I used to buy but their name escapes me right now. Look at the seam on the toe. The Montagnas pictured in the second auction don’t have that toe seam. Darn, I wish I could remember what those were called. I think they were discontinued long before the Montagnas. They are excellent boots, but the seams on the toe are the first thing to wear. Rotondos. That’s it, those are Raichle Rotondos. “

Brian Curtis
                    Keymaster

It says the Hanwag Cimas weigh 2.6 pounds. Must be each!

Cliff Church
                      Participant

“Thanks guys,^^I’ll take a look at all of these, and I forgot that Montrail still makes their norwegian welt Mazama boot, so I’ll look at that too. Brian, I’ve heard about L.L. Bean hiking boots before and they have a great rep. And Jonathon, I recall the obscene weight of those old clunker Danners I had, but you’re right about them protecting your feet. For extremely rough off trail hiking (and chukar hunting) I can’t think of a better boot, as long as it covers enough of the ankle. I also phoned down to Second Ascent and the kid there said they had a lot of old boots that fit the description, but he didn’t want to go look. Thanks for the tips.^^Cliff “

Ken McLeod
                        Participant

“Raichle Montagnas are the best boot ever made. I pad $240. for mine 20 years ago and will attest they’ve out done all other full leather boots on steep granite, steep fir needle slopes, ice-conditons with crampons, ect. For off-trail rugged travel, nothing will compare or hold up even to water, but with them not available around these parts anymore, one might opt for what Brain suggests. My Montagnas are at Dave Page’s cobbler shop as we speak for a resole and fixer job-at the cost of $120.00. I had a pair of Raichle Eigers but they didn’t fit well so I sold them to Jim Tobler, another Trail Blazer, and he liked them. Lastly, I won’t part with my Montagnas, though i do ware other boots from time to time.”

David Axx
                          Participant

“I really dont know if mine are Rotondos on Montagnas, but they dont have a toe stitch, they do have the 5mm thick leather upper, and the stitched Welt in between the vibram sole and the upper. I have owned these boots since 1990 (purchased @ REI $225.00) These are hands down the very best boots I have ever owned, and I have owned alot of boots. Hands down the best foot protection of ANY other boot PERIOD!!! I have used these boots in streams, steep granite, ICE with crampons, snow shoes and sharp slag from old gold/silver mines in the rockies, Arizona Colorado, Utah, Washington, California, Idaho, and Vermont… I have also used them even when the situation didnt require this much boot. I have goten used to wearing the 5 pound boots and feel naked without them, They have out lasted other boots 10/1. after 8 years I wore out the vibram sole in Idaho and bought a similar looking boot from LL bean to get me by while I was having them resoled and, and the LLbean boot completely trashed in 7 days. I am still using these old Raichle's and I wish I could find another pair for my later years, I use size 12, so if you have any or know anyone who may please email me thanks ….. David Axx”

Cliff Church
                            Participant

“Dave, ^^Thanks for your input. Just to let you know, I did find a good pair of Raichle Rotondos about four months after I posted this message. They were perfect – not even broken in yet, but they just wouldn't work. They are almost my size, but just a little too large. Even padding them with extra socks wouldn't help. I even made a couple of trips to Dave Page to see if he could get them to fit better, but he couldn't. Reluctantly, I am in the process of selling them to another TB'er, and I'm back at square one. ^^Thanks,^^Cliff”

Keith Peter
                              Participant

Best boot made is Kennetrek but you will pay for them

Bob Burnell
                                Participant

Cliff

I have wide feet, need a large toe box and am on my 3rd pair of Salomon boots. Needless to say I have had very good luck with them. They are pretty light compared to my old Raichle’s but still provide good support and are waterproof. I can’t find the exact model I have (GT 6 or something like that) but the boots linked below seem close. Quality, fit and comfort are superior in my opinion. Mine seem most similar to the Explorer. I managed to find my last pair at the REI scratch N Dent sale last year (very good deal).

I hope this helps!
                                  Bob

Explorer GTX
                                  http://www.rei.com/product/763465

Quest 4D GTX (a bit heavier)
                                  http://www.rei.com/product/780681

http://www.salomonsports.com/us/#/footwear/footwear/trekking

Cliff Church
                                  Participant

Bob, I just saw this post of yours, sorry for not responding sooner. You know what, Pete Smith helped me out last year and set me up in a pair of Asolo boots and I’ve been good ever since. If my feet get any wider I’ll probably have to go for custom, though. I still have that pair of old Raichle Rontondos.

Cliff

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.