Bull Trout

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      windrider00
      Participant

I was wondering what makes the propagation of Bull trout in a hatchery difficult? Is it with the fish itself or is it that we just don’t have a hatchery raising them and is it too expensive to gear one up to do so?

Also with regards to a source lake, it seems like I’ve read about quite a few lakes here in Washington with bull trout populations, could these be used to stock a lake to be used as a source lake?

I’m really interested in this fish probably because having fished the Sierra most of my life, we never had the priveledge of this beautiful species as part of the trout fishery. I never understood why it doesn’t get more attention as far as stocking them into alpine lakes? I brought this up with California fish and game and got no response. I’d really like to see it make a comeback and hopefully find its way into some alpine lakes.

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

There may be a lot of politics involved and that is probably the the biggest stumbling block at this time. There are several agencies that have interest in bull trout so they have to all agree on what to do and the money has to come from some where. Not a satisfactory answer by any stretch.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.