Columbia River and Tributaries Steelhead

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum Miscellaneous Columbia River and Tributaries Steelhead

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      sooperfly
      Participant

“Check the Dept's website for the Steelhead rules. Took a day off work today, fished from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on the Methow River. Caught one bull trout, one cutt, many assorted steelie smolts, resident rainbows, one salmon and 26 adult steelhead. The run is pretty good so far, but the overall size is the smallest I have seen in quite a while. My bio friend confirms this.”

Ken McLeod
        Participant

You mean you saw or caught 26 adult steelhead?

sooperfly
          Participant

“Caught 26 adult steelhead. ( over 20 inches.) That isn't my record, I have caught 31 before. Usually a person gets tired and quits before the daylight is gone. I caught 11 yesterday in one place standing on a rock. And yes, they were all different ones. LOL. The first fish of the year, I caught on my first cast and caught it on a 1972 new in wrap Ron Popeil Pocket Fisherman. And, yes, I video'd it! Thank goodness it was only about 25 inches. This isn't uncommon… Last year opening day my hunting partner and I fished after deer hunting and caught 25 in 2.5 hours. And yes, I take pictures of a lot of them for proof. Come on over and I will take you fishing. I am lucky enough to have grown up there and have access through private property to all the good spots.”

Brian Curtis
            Keymaster

“Steelheading with a Popiel Pocket Fisherman. All I can do is shake my head. Last time I saw one of those I was a Wallace Lake. A bunch of Scouts came in and a couple started fishing. The Scoutmasters were too wrapped up in whatever they were wrapped up in to help, so I showed then how to cast properly. One was using a Popiel Pocket Fisherman. I was telling this story while waiting in line for food and the Trail Blazer/Hi-Laker Social one year when the guy behind me said that is what he fishes with all the time.”

sooperfly
              Participant

“Yeah…. I thought it would be a gas to catch a steelie on it! It was a small one, and it worked fine! I only caught the first one with it, and then put it away. :D”

brownster145
                Participant

“26 steelhead? I've never heard of such a thing. That is amazing. What on earth do you use? I've never fished steelhead on the east side. Are they just incredibly willing to bite? ^^^^On the west side, at least in my experience, if you catch a single fish it was a good day. If you catch more it was a great day. ^^^^I don't know anybody that's ever had a double digit day but I do know a lot of people that would be just as surprised as me to hear of a 26 fish day. ^^^^I won't go and tell a bunch of people to fish the Methow, but good lord that's a lot of steelhead. ^^^^Andrew:o”

sooperfly
                  Participant

“I catch the majority of steelhead on the same lure I use in the high mountain lakes, a kastmaster. I have also had great luck with little cleo's, or pretty much any other type of spoon. Flies also work great, but I rarely fly fish anymore for steelhead because it takes a bit too long to get them in compared to my spin rig. It isn't as hard as a lot of people think it is. Once you figure out where they are holding at that time of year, you have it made. Also, there are some techniques that can make all the difference. A lot of my friends use a slip bobber and jig to great success, but I prefer a lure. One mistake some people make is staying in the same place too long. If I fish a spot and don't have a bite in a few casts, I leave. Also right now they are in parts of the river that a lot of people would just pass by. I have a 100 % success rate with people I have taken out. You have to be prepared to start early and walk on lot of rocks! :D”

brownster145
                    Participant

“Very cool. Thanks for the info, and nice fish! ^^^^I'm one of those bobber and jig guys you speak of. I do alright, but maybe I'll have to give the Kastmaster a shot. I guess it makes sense that it would work on steelies too… they're just big ocean trout. 😉 ^^^^I'll have to give the Methow a go next time I'm in the area.^^^^Andrew”

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.