Does anyone know where this is?

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Does anyone know where this is?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      gonefishin
      Participant

really exposing myself as a rookie here!

i’ve checked maps but cannot figure it out.

Third picture down on left:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/outreach/fishing/highlake.htm

Thanks!

BobPfeifer
        Participant

“I took this photo of my son fishing the lake when he was 14 years old. The lake is due south of the peak in the background, and is a challenge to hike to from any direction. This was a Trail Blazer stocking trip. If you figure out the lake's name, PLEASE do not post it here on the Internet. Just go there and ENJOY the fruits of your labor.”

gonefishin
          Participant

thanks

not quite sure why all the secrecy.

but definitely appreciate the response nonetheless.

mossback
            Participant

If you have heard of Pack and Paddle, and Louise Marshall, and why she decided to omit information in her publication about fishing, you will understand why most lakes–especially small, off trail lakes–are NOT publicized. She reported good fishing in a lake, decided to go to the lake a couple months later, and found it overrun with people. One of the “100, 101, etc. Hikes” books included trip details about how to get to a peak along the North Fork of the Snoqualmie; a photo showing a nice looking lake was included. That lake had produced trout to 13 inches for years. the “Hikes” book came out in May or June. By October, the lake was fished out. In the 1960’s the then Washington Department of Game asked for fishers to send in cards with fishing information; if you sent in at least 10 cards, you received a summary of all the reports submitted. I “researched” lakes for years; learned of two lakes east of Chinook Pass that had been planted 3 years before. Couldn’t find them on 1st trip; finally found them. Fishing was good; I did NOT submit report on those lakes. Unfortunately, several people did. A couple years later I decided to go back. Getting to the lakes that used to be a bushwhack now had a fishers’ trail to it, and no fish was more than 8 inches. WDG quit sending summaries a few years later because of negative impact on too many mountain lakes. Those are a few examples of why you have to “earn” your way to lakes with good fishing. The picture you posted is a lake that could NOT stand much traffic, even if it had no fish. The lake is in an area too beautiful to tolerate trails, campsites, etc.

gonefishin
              Participant

yeah, i got it.

i figured it was that. i mean, i don’t even wanna see people on the trail, let alone have too many people fish out the lakes.

guess when i wrote that i was comparing it to some of the more popular lakes discussed, where you wouldn’t be so worried about giving away its location.

but once i thought about it a few moments i realized how obtuse that post was.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.