Dorothy fishing story

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Dorothy fishing story

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      bavnuts88
      Participant

Finally made my first hike in today, also my first fly fishing experience. Honestly, the hike killed me. Im tired and sore.

Now to the fishing. Got to the outlet aboot 10am. Caught a couple small cutthroat. No biggie. Walked over to the other side of the log jam and saw a lunker just out of my reach. Like I said, this was my first time fly fishing. So I decided to take my dissapointment to the inlet of the lake. On my way, I stopped at a beachy area aboot 3/4 of the way. The fish were jumping everywhere, and not just the small ones. Yet again, I suck at fly fishing, so I didnt get any from there. Missed one though. Went a bit more down the trail to the inlet. Caught a pretty little Brookie, I think. Had red spots. Anyways, I saw a little deep pocket with a log over it just down the inlet from me. I knew there was something big in there. Scoped it out from afar and saw a couple foot longs. Threw in a nymph. They chased it and spit it out before I could set the hook. As Im starting to make my backcast to try again, a major rainbow comes from under the log. Chases my fly into the air. That fish must have been at least two, two and a half pounds. As its in the air, 15 feet in front of me I say “holy s#*t”. Next thing I know, its long gone and Im furious. If I waited another half a second, I would have had him. Walked over to another beachy area and there was some fatties jumping. Those splashes were huge. Again, I cant cast too far yet.

Called it a day and started back. Stopped at the first beachy area, and they are still jumping. They seemed to like the nymphs and one I have with a little bit of a bee pattern on it.

To the experienced fly fishers, this day would have been awesome. Some of these fish rising were huge. Too bad I suck.

Talked to a couple guys going off trail. They said Charlie Lakes and Camp Robber Lake were garbage. They said the lakes have no fish. Oh well.

Better luck next time on my part. Good day.

Daniel

mcmahon2005
        Participant

Thats a pretty nice fishing report. The only way to get better is more practice. Another thing about high lakes. The best fishing is usually somewhere in the shoals. Shoals being the shallow area just off shore. And the outlet and inlet are more consistent action.

Brian Curtis
          Keymaster

@bavnuts88 wrote:

Talked to a couple guys going off trail. They said Charlie Lakes and Camp Robber Lake were garbage. They said the lakes have no fish. Oh well.

Did you believe them?

bavnuts88
            Participant

Nope. Im not that easy

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.