Dream Lake

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Hello,

I’m planning on visiting my brother in Seattle in June and heard about good fishing at Dream Lake. Unfortunately, the only information I can find on the web describes the difficulty of the hike (lots of bushwacking) but nothing about the fishing. Has anybody been up there in the last year? If so, how was the fishing? I sure would appreciate any comments!

Thanks.

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

I haven’t been there in the last year, but in normal years it would probably be too early in June. This is such a low snow year, though, that June might not be bad. The route in can be much more brushy and difficult in the spring when the water in the creek is high.

Anonymous

I have always “loved” the name, but never been there.

McPilchuck

bob pfeifer
            Participant

McPil –

I would love to go up there with you. It tends to be a “low water” trip since much of the route is right up the outlet. Fall would be best bug-wise, but the snowpack is fast disappearing. If we still felt strong after getting to the lake, maybe we could attempt to repeat Brian’s feat of climbing on up to Smith.

scalpel
              Participant

here is a cachelog that has some pictures of dream lake last thursday.

http://shorl.com/jastanamafosi

Anonymous

I’m looking at going up later this week. Looks like 10 miles RT on the Taylor (bicycle) in addition ot the ‘schwack. I don’t think I’ve been up that road. Is it a fairly easy ride or not? Does my mountain bike need knobbies on it to go up the road?

Is it worth the trouble, in terms of either good fishing or a pretty spot?

scalpel
                  Participant

last time I was up, I did ride my bike to the big creek bridge, then just stashed it. The road is getting worse in some places for biking, I ended up pushing my bike in some places on the way up, but pretty much riding the entire way back. (couple of creek crossings and misc slide-type areas to carry through). Not sure about tire requirements, it is quite rocky and I have dented a rim on a previous trip.
                    I have not fished the last couple times I went up. IT is pretty though.

After about a mile up the trail from big creek turnoff, the trail ends completely. (N 47° 35.422 W 121° 26.966 or so).
                    Get into the creek and walk up that. (if you end up in the pothole lake outlet stream, you will have to cut left after a bit and work up the middle. If you get the dream lake outlet stream, you can hike up it just about the entire way to the lake. Even up the waterfalls.)
                    On the way back, you will notice a trail you can follow part of the way back. Last year I was able to take it all the way back to the stream, but the most recent trip, I lost it and had to make my own way down.

mossback
                    Participant

Scalpel has described the Dream Lake’s route difficulty well. Getting up the Taylor River Road isn’t easy anymore, and getting from road to Dream Lake (and/or pot) has no GOOD trail; it does have fishers’ trail in spots, but you have to brushwhack at times, too.

I recommend you continue on MidFork road to Dingford Creek, park, then head up (on what now is sort of a trail made by lots of hikers) toward lots of lake possibilities, ranging from Greenridge, to Garfields to Nordrum to lots of lakes in between. Almost all have fish, thanks to the organization whose web site you are on.

Given what has happened to Taylor River road and is going to happen on Mid Fork road, lots of hikers have zeroed in on Dingford Creek. Unfortunately, some spots have been dessicated on both sides of the MidFork. Rainy, for example, has fish, used to be a nice hike, and relatively people free; now, I understand some ambitious people have cut a trail to the lake. It used to have a CCC trail part of the way toward Rainy from Camp Brown; if you knew where to get off it, you could get to Rainy with ease; if you stayed on it to the end, you wound up in a basin, scratching your head wondering what happened. OTOH, several lakes, with fish, are on that side of the river, too, but no trails all the way. You have to have some capability to “read” terrain. You don’t really need as much “readability” on Dingford Creek side, but you do need topo map, a compass, and clear weather. Tough getting around in rain, clouds, and/or fog (voice of experience speaking). Enjoy yourself. It’s great country. – mossback

allison
                      Participant

Mossback, thanks. I do love the area and am aware of other options in the area such as the way trail up to Horsehoe, which I think you refer to, Rainy, and the Hardscrabbles, which I got a chance to fish last month before the road closes next year. Not sure if Dream is really worth the trouble, and am considering wandering up to Trapper instead. Looks like I want to bring my fishing pole if I head up there, it is “good fishing” or just “has fish”?

mossback
                        Participant

I didn’t mention Horseshoe (or Goat, both off from Dingford Creek trail, but have fishers trail). Hardscrabbles have too much reproduction, which means too many small fish, but things may have changed since I was there.

Do you mean Trapper in Chelan County? I know where it is, but have never been there.

If you like to prowl, prowl the lakes south of Rainy and on west side of MidFork. Fewer people, more challenging route finding. But DON’T go solo. Area has too many possibilities to get into trouble. Voice of experience talking; fortunately, I wasn’t alone. – mossback

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.