Eagle Lake Cabin

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Cliff Church
      Participant

Does anyone have any info on the origins of the cabin at Eagle Lake, above Barclay lake? I’ve never been there, but a co-worker just got back from there this weekend and told me he and his teenaged daughter were both “creeped out” from the cabin. Said there looked like signs of habitation

mossback
        Participant

“I haven’t been to Eagle Lake/cabin for probably 20 years. Given people think it is creepy,”” it must be getting trashed. Used to be in good shape (but locked), then someone would break in and trash it. At least a couple Trail Blazers know/knew who the owner is/was. I’ll try to get some info for you. – oldtimer”””

mossback
          Participant

Salish – posted your query on Trail Blazer listserv. Only response that anyone could provide was following:

The Ben Paris 1944 guide gives the name of the cabin’s owner. He has since died but Howard Stevens tells me a fellow by the name of McKenzie is the owner now.

Interesting that Eagle wasn’t exempted from the Wild Sky proposal for having this “stamp of man”. There is an outhouse as well.

We had a couple members who associated with original owner (Mr. Stone, I think), but one is dead and the other is in unknown (at the moment) nursing home.

Last time I was there, no junk was around the yard, place looked neat. CT reproduce in lake.

I notice I used my NW Hikers nom de plume on my 8/27 post. That’s what happens when one gets old old. Say hello to your dad for me. If you don’t know who I am, tell him I’m the one who wore a couple ears on my ears (German 88’s were not nice to me). – mossback

Cliff Church
            Participant

“Thank you, Mossback, for your very informative response. I’ll share this with my hiking buddy and maybe we’ll be able to make it up there this year. Very interesting indeed about it’s inclusion in the Wild Sky proposal. Anyway, thanks much, I love the history in these mountains. By the way, my dad passed on in 95′; could you be thinking of someone else? He was a gunner on 350’s & 5″”51’s in the atlantic during the war, so his hearing wasn’t too sharp, either. (note – this is my second attempt at posting this. The first one didn’t show up so I hope I’m not double posting here).^^Cliff “””

Brian Curtis
              Keymaster

The cabin is/was owned by Bill McKinzie. Charlie Lund (his bio is in the biography section of this site) said he stayed in the cabin with Bill McKinzie in 1981. I was at the lake in 1991. At that time the cabin was locked up and in good condition.

Cliff Church
                Participant

Thanks Brian.

Brian Curtis
                  Keymaster

“I just found out that the cabin is now property of the Forest Service. They are considering putting it up for historic status and it should be unlocked. The original owners had the site on a permit basis and that reverted to the FS when they died (or something similar, that story is second hand).”

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.