Edds lake 6-20/21-04

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Edds lake 6-20/21-04

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Tom Bentzen
      Participant

“Made the trip into Edds a few days ago. The lake is in great shape, fully thawed. I didnt fish (I know Im a bum) I did see hundreds of winged carpenter ants on the surface as I rafted from the inlet to the outlet, and yet I never saw any fish rising to get them. ^^^^Tom B”

mossback
        Participant

“Did you go over Bubmblebee Pass? Trail to the lake now? Stay at the outlet? (best campsite)^^^^The fish in that lake are tempermental. You can fish, say, an evening, and swear no fish are in the lake. The next morning you can catch more than one–not necessarily hot fishing, but can be OK. No particular time for best fishing. Best time is when they are in mood to feed.^^^^Relocation of Crest trail had bad impact on Edd's. Used to be NO trail of any kind. Within 5 years after trail was put in, was a trail from saddle above Joe down to lake. Last time I was there, still no trail from Bumblebee Pass down to lake. – mossback”

Tom Bentzen
          Participant

“There is still NO trail either in bumblebee or over by Joes. I went out via the Joe local and there was a little trail-like path leading from the very top of the saddle to the crest, but nothing more. There is nothing from the saddle at bumblebee down to the lake. I stayed at the outlet. Very nice camp site. I used one of my Curtis rafts to get from the inlet to the outlet. I cant imagine how people got in here before the new PCT was built.^^^^TB^^^^[Edited on 6-24-2004 by BackPacker Joe]”

mossback
            Participant

“Before PCT, one had three options:^^1 Go past Red Mtn cross country to cliff above Alaska, cross dangerous, cliffy spot, then up through Bumblebee pass to lake^^2 Go to Alaska Lake, go around right side (preferable, although left side easier, but have to cross dangerous, cliffy spot) up to Bumblebee pass to lake^^3 Go to Joe Lake, up to pass, down rockslide to lake (generally speaking, longer but easiest route before PCT)- mossback”

Tom Bentzen
              Participant

Wow good points. Is there a trail up to Alaska from the Gold Creek trail that leads to Joe lake?^^^^What about burnt boot creek? Have people gone into Edds that way?^^^^^^TB^^^^[Edited on 6-24-2004 by BackPacker Joe]

mossback
                Participant

“In late 60's and 70's, I went to Alaska Lake more easily than to Joe Lake. Unless things have changed a lot, the “trail” turnoff from Gold Creek should be relatively obvious; the route going up the hill is in an old creek channel; you climb up through rocky stuff, but it isn't dangerous. When you get up to relatively open area, you start angling left. You enter timber hat takes you to Alaska Lake. ^^^^Remember, I'm talking years ago. I suspect most people take the PCT, then drop down to Alaska Lake.^^^^Must have been sometime in late 60's, I'm at Alaska L. with son and friend of his. I'm standing near outlet when I see two young women coming toward me –in bathing suits!! They get to me, and ask “Is this Joe Lake.” They had come up through the creek bed and through brush in their bathing suits. I was flabbergasted. They also wanted to know where the mines were; I told them, in general, but said they didn't dare go to the mines in bathing suits–too brushy. – mossback”

mossback
                  Participant

“Forgot to cover the Burnboot Creek route. Yes, people have gone that route, but, usually, only once. I never took that route because I heard so many stories about the notorius brush jungles. – mossback”

Tom Bentzen
                    Participant

“Thanks for all the input guys. ^^Bloody bathing suits? Gotta love it.^^^^When I was coming back from Edds I met two women who were laughing as they asked me, “Is this the trail to the katwalk?”^^^^Gotta love being in the outdoors and not knowing where the hell you are.^^^^TB”

Ken McLeod
                      Participant

“I have been both routes: up Burnt Boot and out, and in and out over Bumble Bee.”

Tom Bentzen
                        Participant

The Burnt Boot route's gotta be a bummer.^^^^How far do you figure you are from the Goldmeyer area?^^^^^^TB

mossback
                          Participant

A trail went through the Commonwealth Basin to Goldmeyer (don't know whether it still does). The Trail Blazers went from MidFord past Goldmeyer. The drive to the Goldmeyer turnoff was easy in those days. It was/is a lot shorter than the Snoqualmie Pass/Commonwealth route.

BobPfeifer
                            Participant

“MB:^^^^The loop that can be made via Commonwealth and Rock Creek and out to Alpental does indeed still exist. It is (I have heard) a favorite hike of Bill Longwell's (of Hi-Lakers and Issquah Alps). You go to what I call Red Pass at the head of Commonwealth, drop down to Goldmeyer HS, down the river, then up Rock Creek to Snow Lake and out. This has been on my list of trips for years and years.”

Tom Bentzen
                              Participant

“Robert, I just came from that area. A few ex boeing guys have been cleaning up that red pass trail (old cascade crest) for a few years now. It is in really good shape. I didnt go all the way to the pass, but the trail looks nice.^^^^TB”

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.