Fishing in a Downpour

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Fishing in a Downpour

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Kathy
      Keymaster

So any opinions on what fishing is like on a rainy day like today? Pointless, Maybe, or Good? I have a hankerin’ to find out in person….

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

Put on your rain gear and go fishing. It can be great on days like today. Changing weather can put fish down, but it seems like they hit just fine on days like today.

caveman
          Participant

I’ve had some onf my best days fishing in the down poor. Most poeple whould rather stay home or stay at camp. You can do really well. One thing I do notice is when the weather chagnes from nice to rainy. Like today, it has been crappy weather for a while so fishing will be good but if a day or two ago the weather changed from nice to crappy, then you went out in the rain, it might not be so good. It all depends how long the weather pattern has been around.

Adam

Kathy
            Keymaster

Well I did go out today, rain gear packed. Oddly enough, once we went over Snoqualmie Pass the rain completely ended ( we took the Hyak exit). So I guess I can’t personally answer the question after all!

No rain, no fish, and I rammed my right knee into a rock trying to retrieve a snagged lure ( got it). Cast some more, then realized my leg was ummm… not working. Had a hideous hike out – I could stand on it, but not bend it. And did I mention it is my birthday???? I had an ugly experience last year on my b’day as well (heat exhaustion, never made the lake). I think I’ll stay home in ’08 on this day.

But I will try fishin’ in the rain based on your comments.

bavnuts88
              Participant

All my biggest fish came on rainy days. Bass and trout. I love those days, nobody is out, and the fish are more active. The rain drops on the water and overcast days allow the fish to roam more freely. Just like a small breeze

gonefishin
                Participant

i’ve had bad luck fishing in the rain. plus i got all wet!

having said that, i think it’s still worth trying.

and as you pointed out, it’s possible that at your destination there is no rain. i’ve headed out from seattle several times and headed east over the mountains to find no rain. or you may find just a drizzle here and there and no crowds.

giantbrookie
                  Participant

I believe the Sierra Nevada here in CA is a bit drier during the high lake season than most of the areas of the Washington high lakes, but we do have our thunderstorms and occasional monsoonal patterns (wherein it’s not just afternoon thundershowers but thundershowers most of the day for days on end). I can’t say fishing in the rain has been any better or worse for me than fishing in clear weather. There have been some times I’ve had a field day in the rain and other times I’ve been skunked.

Kid fishin
                    Participant

yo kat, I moved my backpacking trip one day lator `cause of the rain.
                      obviously, i’ve had no luck fishing in the rain.

Mike Blodgett
                      Participant

I catch fish weather it is raining or not, cold or hot wet or dry, I still catch the fish. You just have to know what set-up to use when fishibng different lakes.

I have limited off of spinners in a lake and had no luck at all in another, until I switched my set up. Whether it is bottom fishing, spin casting or fly/cast style fishing, once you figure it out for the lake then there is no problem. This means weather it is raining or not.

But I have caught some of my bigger fish when it is raining and/or over cast.

Paul Campo
                        Participant

I just got back from a trip and did pretty well at Hardscrabble Lakes in the rain. I think someone mentioned when its changing it sends them down. I heard when the weather is changing, the barometric pressure is changing and fish have to make adjustments to the pressure difference so they are not as prone to feeding. Interestingly, the two days before was no rain but heavy fog and the bite was O.k. Then when the rain was actually coming down the bite got really good! It seemed with every cast my last hour at Lower Hardscrabble in the cold rain while I was soaking wet, each fish was bigger than the last…the northeast edge of that lake seemed to be where the largest fish were as it also had the steepest drop shelf and the inlet from upper hardscrabble….in general though, most of the fish seemed to be on the smaller side making me wonder about the available food sources….too bad its always a situation where you are soaking wet and cold, or being mobbed by mosquitoes and out of DEET when the bite is really on!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.