Fishing lures

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      jnoyes1026
      Participant

So I have been reading up on alot of tips and one of the lures that people recommend is the krocodile spoons. I was just curious I have never actually seen one in action is it similar to using a dick nite spoon? I am hoping so because I am loaded with dick nites from river fishing. Another one is spinners like rooster tails. If there are any others I should pick up before this June please let me know.

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

They have similar action to a Dick Night, but they are weighted for casting. You don’t have to be subtle. I throw either 3/16 oz or ¼ oz spoons. You need to have enough weight for good casting. I like 4-lb test line. Krocodiles are excellent spoons. I like brass/red patterns best. My favorite lures are Daredevils or Kamlooper Jrs for 3/16 oz and Jakes Spin-a-Lures and Krocodiles for ¼ oz.

Rooster Tails are difficult lures to fish. They can be extremely effective, but they require some technique. To get the spinner sported you need to give them a bit of a twitch. And they are horrible line twisters, even if you are using a snap swivel. So you have to let your line untwist after you reel in.

There is a good thread on favorite lures here on the forum.

Bob Burnell
          Participant

I found this thread using “Best Hi Lake Lures” search.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=222&p=11835&hilit=best+hi+lake+lures#p11835

jnoyes1026
            Participant

thanks for that link that gives me a great list to work off of. Another question I got my first and only fly pole when I was 13 and all I ever really used the thing as was a whip. I never had anyone show me what I should be doing so it turned into just a game of how loud can I get the floating line to crack. So the question, Is a high lake a good one to practice and figure out how to fly fish or should I try this out at a local lake? I like the idea that no one will be watching me thinking what in the world does that guy think he is going to catch fishing like that.

Brian Curtis
              Keymaster

@jnoyes1026 wrote:

I got my first and only fly pole when I was 13 and all I ever really used the thing as was a whip. I never had anyone show me what I should be doing so it turned into just a game of how loud can I get the floating line to crack.

LOL, that’s definitely not a skill that will help your fly fishing. Every time I hear that snap I know I’ve just lost another fly.

Whether or not you’ll be able to easily fly fish from shore is very dependent on the lake. If you can find a rockslide or meadow you’ll be in good shape, but if the lake is surrounded by brush fly fishing will be difficult. The best place to practice fly fishing is a lawn somewhere with a hookless fly. I’d bring spinning and fly gear so you can take advantage of good fly fishing opportunities and won’t be frustrated when conditions are tough.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.