Forest Service rejects request for a CnR fishery at Spirit L

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Forest Service rejects request for a CnR fishery at Spirit L

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      StHelensFisher
      Participant

link to story Columbian article^^^^[Edited on 2-28-2004 by StHelensFisher]^^^^[Edited on 2-28-2004 by StHelensFisher]

mossback
        Participant

“Thanks for posting the link. Forest Service denial of CnR fishing didn't/doesn't surprise me. However, details about the research that presumably is going on should be made available, not used as (an excuse?) (reason?) to deny fishing. ^^^^I assume you realize that the Forest Service is getting more pressure to reduce fishing opportunities in mountain lakes that to increase fishing opportunities. – mossback”

StHelensFisher
          Participant

“I think the USFS excuses for rejecting the idea are weak.^^The WDFW has done almost a 100% of the research on the fish in the lake and they want some type of limited fishery at Spirit Lake.^^Safty, they allow people to climb to the top of the volcano. I'm thinking fishing Spirit Lake is a lot less dangerous, than climbing Mt. St. Helens.^^Allowing a limited number of people to experience this fishery would do nothing but create a sense of ownership of the mountain and her surrounding lands. This would help protect and preserve Mt. St. Helens for years to come.”

mossback
            Participant

I'm on your side; don't misinterpret my comments. I'm pessimistic about USFS. – mossback

Anonymous

We should all be pessimistic. I worked as a backcountry ranger for 10 years with the USFS. Six of those years here in Washington State. My experience was that there was a lot of affirmative action candidates given precedence to competency during the hiring ot the 80’s and 90’s. In my experience, a lot of gender and cultural minorities with rather citified or armchair environmental (aka, bambi) attitutes that do not understand the traditional cultures or values of the west. One district ranger in Wyoming (and a friend of mine) came up to me one day nearly in tears because he (hispanic) knew of the special treatment he was given and telling me that they moved him up the ladder so fast that he was far beyond his ability. It was really stressful for him.

Gender minorities were by far the highest. And in particular tended to be maternal to the point of over-protectionism. It is only natural to see that but it should have been stopped or controlled long ago. Now we have problems. The result – a LOT of bias management and finding excuses to fit the cause – rather than good, sound, ecological managment. I left the USFS because of it. Our traditional cultures were being abused. Unfortunately, the people I knew are now in administrative positions today. I have found it all rather sad to see the decline. Not that everyone in the USFS is to blame, there are some good people there particularly at the district levels, but a LOT of them either are the problem or just go with the flow for the sake of their carreers… and a resulting momentum to poor management conditions. In my experience, there was little integrity in the people of the USFS.

But like I have been told so many times, the real rangers left the US Forest Service long ago.

-Ken
                ken@wildlanders.com

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.