freeze dried alternatives?

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum Miscellaneous freeze dried alternatives?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      ltlcleo
      Participant

“My fishing partner has really turned into quite the techno.He has gotten all the latest msr backpacking gear etc.I am still a tarp and wool blanket type of guy.Part of the romance to me.Although I see a pocket rocket in the future being as fires are a thing of the past in the high country.He has also gotten me to try some of the freeze dried food.It is alright and I can see where on extended trips it is almost a must.We are planning an exploration of rustler creek over on the quinault.I was wondering what,if any, you guys eat on the longer trips other than freeze dried food?I used to bring alot of pasta with dried vegatables and summer sausages.I actually got half way decent at buiscuts too,although it has been awile.Of course fish and blue berry pancakes were a must.Any sugestions to break up the freeze dried routine?”

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

“Here's my routine for extended trips. The one thing that unites everything here is that there is no cooking beyond boiling water:^^^^Breakfast–freeze dried precooked eggs. (precooked is important here)^^freeze dried sausage patties^^freeze dried applesauce^^^^We alternate the above with granola and applesauce. We either package one serving of granola with powdered milk so it is a just add water serving, or eat granola bars.^^^^Lunch: Peanut butter and Rye Crisp with bacon bits and 4 cookies alternating with a hot soup lunch. One of those large cups. We normally repackage the contents and make it in a cup.^^4 cookies.^^^^Dinner: Nuts (different nuts every night) and an ounce of alchohol (Everclear or 151 rum) mixed with Kool-Aid for a predinner appetizer.^^A soup packet (Cup-a-Soup)^^Freeze dried dinner. ^^4 cookies or instant pudding.”

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.