Golden Trout in the North Cascades.

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Golden Trout in the North Cascades.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Trout-NinJa
      Participant

I fish alpine lakes outside of Granite falls on the Mountain Loop HWY weekly when it’s sunny out and of all these times (past 6 years) I have yet to catch a Golden Trout. I always seem to catch Brookies and Cutts. Is there anybody that knows any lakes in the area that have Golden trout? I know naming lakes can be a touchy subject to some people, but I have ALWAYS practiced catch-and-release. I do not enjoy eating fish, I enjoy watching beautiful, natural trout swim away unscathed.

Thanks to anybody that helps in advance. You are welcome to private message me or respond here. I have some great spots i’d love to share with you as well if interested.

-TJ

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

Stocking has been curtailed on DNR land in recent years. Hopefully that is temporary, but in the meantime it doesn’t leave a lot of lakes left with goldens up the Mtn Loop. Have you been sticking to trails or going cross country? You should be getting some ‘bows in addition to EB and CT.

Trout-NinJa
          Participant

Yeah I hope regulations change so they can be stocked. The Mt Loop Highway is full of great hikes and lakes. I do come across rainbows on the occasion. I haven’t hiked anything off of the trails or maps, mainly ones that are listed and many have already hiked. I am willing to hike whatever though to catch a golden! :fishing: :camping:

Brian Curtis
            Keymaster

Very few goldens are stocked in lakes easily accessible by trail. You might give Big Greider off Hwy 2 a shot. But it is on DNR land and hasn’t been stocked in quite a while. It has some naturally reproducing RB and probably has a few goldens left but you’ll have to work for them.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.