Golden Trout?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      fly15
      Participant

Hello I am new to this forum and was hoping someone could help me out. I want to do some alpine lake fishing this summer for golden trout but am having a real hard time finding out what lakes contain them here in washington. Also why aren’t the alpine streams planted with golden trout. They seem to do fine in other states in moving water. If you don’t want to tell everyone you can e-mail me at razerclam@aol.com ^^^^Thanks fly15:)

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

“Your best bet for goldens is Big Greider Lake above the Spada Reservoir. ^^^^Streams are not planted with goldens because if they can hold fish they normally have a population of introduced, or native trout already and producing hybrids would be a major concern. “

fly15
          Participant

“Thanks for the information Brian, I will be sure to check out Big Greider Lake this summer. Also I want to thank you for letting me know why they don’t put goldens in streams. :)^^^^fly15”

crazyjake
            Participant

“I am also new to this forum but may be able to help a little. Have done a little research for goldens in Washington and information is hard to find:(. Several years ago WDFW planted Goldens in several alpine lakes but many didn’t take. These were transplanted from the Kern River drainage in California (if my information is correct). Information is very vague as to which lakes were planted and worse yet for lakes that took. As per Mr. Curtis’s post I believe Big Greider is your best bet. ^^Other lakes that may hold Goldens are: Cyclone (Skagit Co); Cougar (King Co); Enchantment (Chelan Co); Frying Pan (Lewis Co); Woods (Skagit Co); Thetis (Kittatas Co); Mica (Snohomish Co). These are not guaranteed as they are only thought to contain goldens. There are some others but as I say information is hard to find. If you check these out, please let me know the results. :)”

Jonathan Leathers
              Participant

“Big Greider Lake is a great place to try out on your first adventure for Golden trout for a few reasons. I am personally the guy that carries the fingerlings in there each year. This is done so that there are many ‘class’ sizes and a good supply. BGL is large and can handle some pressure, not to mention one of the easiest hikes to a golden lake you are goning to find. My 5 & 8 year old kids made it all the way there and back last year without help, and had a great time. If you can’t make it to this lake you will never make it to any other Golden lake becasue most are more difficult to reach. Since I have no idea of your hiking skill???^^^^One other note BGL also contains Rainbow trout so there is a chance to catch a fish that is not a Golden, but they are easy to tell apart. The rainbow tend to hang out”” at the south end of the lake and I have caught them up to 15 inches, but you will need a raft to get there, the lake is not easy to get around. Cross the log jam and fish it from the east side if you don’t have a raft. Oh and let me know how it goes. You could probably hike to this lake right now its at 2932 feet elevation but most likly still has some ice on it, but it always open earlier than any other golden lake I know of. (hint)^^^^After you report back to me on this one (I need to know how it is doing) I will give you another I need a report on that is a little harder to reach.^^^^Jonathan^^^^I will try and attach a picture but I don’t know if we are set up for that kind of thing yet, here goes nothing.”””

sooperfly
                Participant

“Living in Eastern Washington I don’t know of many places that have goldens in Western Washington. Over here, look for high elevation lakes with tough access! Even if you don’t catch one, the hike will have been worth it. This is my first post, so I don’t know if this will work, but I will try and show you a picture of my lucky golden from last year. :)”

Brian Curtis
                  Keymaster

“Wow, that is a gorgeous fish. According to the record book that beauty is 3.91 lbs. How long was it? Your advice applies to westside lakes with goldens, too. “

sooperfly
                    Participant

“Well, the state measured it at 21.25 inches… I measured it at 22. :cool:^^Here is another pic….. I did change the background on this one. *grin* “

Ken McLeod
                      Participant

“Nice Fish! I once hd one on I figured to be over 20 inches and under 24 as it dwarfted te one my partner (Martin Jensen) caught at 18 inches. Unfortunately, the big fish got off when I discovered the barb on the fly had broken on the backcast previously on a rock…sign.^^^^”

sooperfly
                        Participant

“Thanks! Thought its not a golden, here is a dandy fish that got away from everyone! Wish I had caught it but I didn’t. Saw it way out in the lake on the bottom and casted until I was able to hook it and drag it in… Measured an honest 25 inches.. over 13 inches around.. Book says thats about 5.5 pounds! And this is a heavily visited lake. I looked all over him for hook scars, but not a one! Lived his life out and died.. Not bad for a lake nearing 7,000 ft. in elevation! :-)”

Brian Curtis
                          Keymaster

“These pics are great. I’m going to have to post my own off topic photo, now. I caught this one over 10,000′ in Wyoming last summer. It is a 23 Snake River finespotted cutthroat. “””

Ken McLeod
                            Participant

“A nice shot of that dead fish (looks like a Twin Lake Cutt strain). Some fish just live out their lives and die of old age…I once saw a rainbow laying deep down in the outlet of a high lake that was about 5-6 pounds, its flesh was coming off but what a trout. Incidently, a friend did catch one there that day that went 25 inches and was about 6 pounds…what we all dream about.^^^^And Brian, what can I say, that photo of you with the fine-spotted cutt is a classic, and though I already have it in my picture gallery from when you sent it out previously, I don’t get tired of looking at it again. Great Shot”””””

sooperfly
                              Participant

Nice Cutt! Looks like a great area to fish. I want to go to Montana or Wyoming this year so bad.

brownster145
                                Participant

“I feel like a novice among you people (probably because I am). My record for an alpine lake is a 16 west-slope cutthroat, and I don’t even have a picture. ^^^^Congratulations on all of these fish (Even the dead one). ^^^^Andrew^^”””

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.