Great way to start off the season!

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Great way to start off the season!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Curt Peterson
      Participant

This is probably the biggest trout I’ve caught since getting back into fishing a year and a half ago. The cork on the rod is 12″. Pretty happy with this as it was the first fish I caught!

-Curt

caveman
        Participant

Now thats a damn fat Rainbow.

bavnuts88
          Participant

where is this dusty lake?

Curt Peterson
            Participant

Dusty is near Quincy. “Above” the lake are a bunch of decent car-camping fishing lakes: Quincy, Burke, Stan Coffin, and more. There’s a short access trail from up there down to Dusty.

The hiker way to get there is from the Ancient Lakes trailhead. I went in that way, camped at Dusty overnight, and hiked back the next day. Ancient Lakes is a worthwhile stop on the hike. Great camping. Unless there are a lot of folks coming down from above (none during my trip) this offers a backcountry-like experience during the springtime when the High Lakes are frozen.

Go! You won’t regret it!

-Curt

Mark Harris
              Participant

Went to Dusty today. Didn’t catch a thing. I usually try to make up for my lack of fishing skill by hiking in to lakes were fish have not had the fishermen exposure to become selective carry-overs. Unfortunately, the high-lakes are all still frozen over.

I swopped between a couple of kastmasters, roostertails, blue foxes. Any suggestions for improved technique? I saw a coule of fish rise towards my lure but no takers. I passed a guy who said he cought a couple so maybe it was just me.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.