help me find a hike

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion help me find a hike

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      kooter
      Participant

“i've decided i want to get back into hiking. it has been awhile, but i'm going to plan a small trip probably around the end of july or first of august. i'm wanting a relatively easy hike, not too far(5-8 miles should be more than enough) probably make it a 3 day trip. ^^^^will be fishing with spinning gear from the shore, as i haven't used my fly fishing stuff in awhile. type of fish doesn't matter, although i've never caught an EB, and it has been awhile since i caught a CT. ^^^^within a couple hours drive of lacey preferrably. what suggestions do y'all have. thanks in advance.^^^^Mike”

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

“You can't go wrong with the Foss Lakes. Copper. Little, and Big Heart. Malachite, etc. You'll find CT, RB and EB up in that drainage and some beautiful scenery.”

Tom Bentzen
          Participant

The super admin guy is right as usual. I'd go to Otter lake in the Foss were I you. Ive had the best luck there. Angeline has been good too.^^^^You can get to Otter via Delta.^^^^TB

kooter
            Participant

i think i am going to shoot for copper and possibly for big heart. with a quick stop at trout to wet a line. thanks for the advice.

Brian Curtis
              Keymaster

“That is beautiful country. You'll definitely want to get all the way into Big Heart. Don't waste any time at Trout, get into the high country where the scenery and fishing are better. Big Heart is tough to fish as it is bounded by cliffs. It has lots of fish, but a raft really helps. You should be able to fish Copper and Little Heart without any trouble.”

kooter
                Participant

“i was thinking about bringin a little 1 man raft. but haven't decided yet. i will skip trout, how about malachite, is it worth running over to and trying a couple casts?”

Brian Curtis
                  Keymaster

“I've never been to Malachite, so It is high on my list. 🙂 It should be worth your while, I would imagine.”

BobPfeifer
                    Participant

“It's been 20 or more years since I've been to Malachite. It has reproducing cutthroat as I recall, so catching fish should be relatively easy. There was a way trail heading up to it from the main trail to Copper. It is right where you would expect it to be from a cross-country travel perspective. Malachite is a very scenic lake, with deep blue water color. Scrambling in the area would be wonderful, such as climbing Malachite Peak. There is also a mine to explore above the lake, but watch out for old dynamite inside! I recall USFS guys telling me about it, and they were contemplating collapsing the adit since it was so dangerous to move the old powder.”

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.