Hey everyone…I’m new here…

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Hey everyone…I’m new here…

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      onthefly
      Participant

Just wanted to drop a line and say hi. I’ve been cruising this forum for a few days and figured I’d join. I recently got very interested in fly fishing the high lakes and I thought what better forum to join than this one. I actually tried to make it out to Bengston lake on monday but I didn’t have enough time to hike all the way in and back out. I got to the forest service road which read “walk in only, gate may close at any time” and thought I better save it for another day, because this day I was not prepared for a hike and only have a float tube. I really need a pack raft!!! From what I read about the lake it sounds like the FS roads will lead you right to it but it is about seven miles in there. Does anyone know about or have experience with Bengston Lake? It is supposed to be about seven miles south of Gold Bar. From the little I found on about the lake it sounded nice.

Anyway, I hope to meet some of you this summer although it may be hard to make it to Mercer Island for the meetings as I live in Ballard.

Thanks,

Drew

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

HI Drew, welcome to the forum. I haven’t been to Bengston in a long time so hopefully someone who has been there more recently will chime in with some better information.

It is only about 15 miles from Ballard to Mercer Island 😀

onthefly
          Participant

Ha ha. Yeah, I guess I was getting Mercer Island confused with Bainbridge Island. I should be able to make it out to some meetings. That sounds like the best way to get involved in the club. Can I pay my yearly dues at the next meeting to become a full member?

Brian,

Are you still making the “Curtis Raft”?

Thank you,

Drew

Andy Schmidt
            Participant

Hey OTF,

Brian’s retired from the raft business, but I’m getting geared up to make/sell a similar boat. At this point I’m just making a list of interested people. PM me with an email address if you’d like to be on the list, or I’ll post here when I have rafts available.

–A

onthefly
              Participant

pm sent 😀

Brian Curtis
                Keymaster

@onthefly wrote:

Can I pay my yearly dues at the next meeting to become a full member?

Yep, just come to the next Hi-Laker meeting and pay your dues and you’ll be a full member. Meetings are held the third Wednesday of the month.

onthefly
                  Participant

Perfect. I’m moving into my first house that day but I’ll mark my calender for the next one 😀

SportRadical
                    Participant

Hi, im also new here, just decided register. I am interested in your your raft andy, I use my float tube for now. My friend and his grandpa use the sevylor pack rafts and like them, but I have heard mixed reviews. Any info, pix, on your raft would be great 8).
                      thanks,
                      -Chad

onthefly
                      Participant

Chad,

Please post your findings on Shaw lake. Sounds like a nice little lake at 6 acres.

Thank you,

Drew

SportRadical
                        Participant

I guess there is still a bit of snow and ice up there, plus my buddy sprained his ankle skateboarding that day ha. He should be ready to go again in a couple weeks so at least the seasons not lost.

onthefly
                          Participant

Sorry to hear about your buddie’s ankle and that you weren’t able to make it up there. I hope to get out soon enough. :fishing:

Jim Mighell
                            Participant

Mr Fly: You best forget Bengston unless you were lucky enough to get a Hancock Area Permit – otherwise about 15 or so miles on present-day roads from that gate you mentioned (Hiway2?). Unfortunately you cannot even ride with someone who has a permit (not allowed) – there is a way to walk old roads that is about 7 miles but you might be called names if you did and your car might be rifled by the time you got back. I would stick to Shaw and maybe Wallace lakes for a better experience, but fair walking distance themselves (5-6 miles); you can also walk in from the Hancock gate at Spur 10 on North Fk Snoqualmie to Klaus, Boyle, and Bridges Chain of lakes for decent fishing and fairly short walk of 1.5-3 miles.

Dave Weyrick
                              Participant

Is it OK to bike into these lakes?

Jim Mighell
                                Participant

Yes Dave, It IS OK to bike in – the roads are gravel so a bit more difficult to ride than hard tread.

JamesSimon
                                  Participant

^ that’s great news. and i’ll be bringing my bike so i can enjoy more of the land when i go there next month.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.