Injuries and Older People

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum Miscellaneous Injuries and Older People

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Cliff Church
      Participant

“What a bummer – my hiking buddy, Ross, suffererd a badly torn hamstring in a softball game we were playing the other night. His doc says it’s one of the worst tears he’s seen, so he’s probably out for the hiking season. I know torn hamstrings and achilles take a long time to heal. It’s especially bad because we’ve been attending TB meetings since January and he was looking forward to stocking lakes this summer. Anyway, this brought to mind the importance of stretching and watching for these things as we get older. We’re both 48 now and I’ve been going through extensive stretching exercises daily for about three years, as a result from a badly herniated disc in my back and the subsequent PT. My routine, which stresses stretching on the lower body and lower back, has saved me from having to undergo surgery. I still get back pain and my back still goes out on me once in a while, but I’d rather not have that disc removed. My hiking routine consists of stretching my calves, quads, hamstring, and lower back stretches before I hit the trail. Then after about 30 minutes or so of hiking I do it again, or at least an abbreviated version of the routine, stretching the calves, quads, and hamstrings. This seems to keep me from getting too banged up. I would be curious to hear how other older guys keep themselves in shape year round. I ride a bicycle to work and try to work out once in a while, and do the stretching mentioned above. I know a couple of guys who are even younger than me who don’t play sports anymore because they don’t want to injure themselves in some stupid soccer match or softball game and then screw up their hiking season. I think for us, we’re still just as competitive in sports as we were at 21 and play just as hard, but our bodies just can’t take the strain and the result can be either comical or bad, like Ross’ injury. ^^^^Cliff”

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

That is a major bummer. But perhaps all is not lost for Ross. Jonathan has a drive to lake to stock. Perhaps he can take Ross on that one. ^^^^My dad is 71 this year. We are still doing yearly 8 or 9 day trips somewhere around the country. He keeps in shape by playing handball 3 times per week.

Ken McLeod
          Participant

“To stay in shape, I hike/climb as much as possible year round, twice to three times per week, otherwise I lose it. I don’t play any sports anymore, too man chances for injury especially contact sports. The mountains and getting up into the high land( at least to me) is far more important than some game played with a ball, though I love to watch ballgames: (baseball & football). Nature is my reality.^^At 50, I stretch some before the pack goes on, I also ware a knee brace for the bad one. When on trail or off, the mind is kept off the pounding feet and concentrated on the surrundings…with eyes searching for intimate details, ears focused, and nose scenting. Anything to take the foot pounding druge away. Conversation with a Pal really helps, too.”

Cliff Church
            Participant

“Brian, thanks for the advice and the info on Jonathon. I’ll mention this to Ross. And your father is definitely an inspiration! ^^^^McP: I’m rapidly coming to the same conclusion about sports. It’s fun and I love playing softball, but it takes a back seat to my outdoor activities. I actually spend more time climbing hills in the late fall & winter months while chukar hunting than I do while backpacking, so I consider the backpacking season as in training””. As much as I hate to admit it, I think I’ll start to think about toning down sports, because there’s no way I can still do it an not play with intensity. I use a knee brace, too, which has pretty much solved my downhill knee horrors. A lighter pack helps, too. I haven’t reached that point where I can hike two to three times a week year round like you, so I commute to work year round by bicycle and during the summer months I hike to and from work at least once a week with a fully loaded pack. It’s not far – five miles, but every little bit helps. Thanks for your advice.^^Cliff”””

Jonathan Leathers
              Participant

“I’ve found the lake on a map and was wondering is it really a drive to? I see on the map what shows as road, but I’ve fallen for that before. You know this to be driveable recently or are we talking like someone told me they drove it about ten years ago””. I know tha Sammy will make just about any road, but gates are hard to drive over. ^^^^Anyway if it is a drive to I could take someone along. I was planning on taking the kids or my Dad (can’t hike to far these days either) but at this point I don’t have any trips planned out yet. If I can take my truck then I could bring 4-5.”””

Brian Curtis
                Keymaster

“Jonathan, GeorgeB was up there last year. He said the road is rough, but could be driven by a good 4×4.”

Cliff Church
                  Participant

“Jonathon,^^^^Didn’t mean to horn our way into a family outing here, and I’m speaking somewhat out of turn because Ross hasn’t completely acknowledged that I’m asking this for him. Maybe we can hookup at the TB meeting this Thursday and talk about it.^^Cliff “

Jonathan Leathers
                    Participant

“I haven’t made any plans yet, I’m still trying to find out if I can really drive to this lake. I may just take off some evening after the wife gets home and check to see if the road is open before I order the fish.”

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.