Isabel

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      TYLER82
      Participant

“My 1956-57 edition of the Pacific Northwest Fishing Guide and Hunting Guide speaks of “a fine cabin hidden away near the head of the lake on the north side, most easily reached by boat”.^^^^Who built it? Is it still standing/ when did it collapse? Has anyone ever stayed in this cabin? ^^Any info would be much appreciated!^^Thanks, Tyler”

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

“I haven't been all the way up to the old cabin site, but I think it is gone now. Mossback may be able to supply some more information.^^^^[Edited on 9-16-2004 by Brian Curtis]”

mossback
          Participant

“That cabin has been gone for years. A person would not know a cabin had ever been there unless he/she had seen it while it existed. Miners built it. ^^^^When Brian told me someone had posted query about cabins, I thought he was referring to the cabin that was at the outlet for several years. This also was a miners' cabin. It started pretty nice, but suffered from vandalism. I regularly visited Lake Isabel over Memorial Day week end to get a “read” on how access to lakes in the area would be during the coming summer. Took a 35mm photo or two of the cabin when it was nice, when it had a lot of crud, and when it had been burned down. Unfortunately, I do not have any JPEGS. ^^^^Several abandoned mine holes are along the west side of the lake (but hellishly hard to get to because of brush). Two/three also can be seen on the way up the old-old “surrey road” to lake. Don't know whether the restaurant in Index still has them, but it used to have a picture showing the road, and a picture showing the “hotel” at lower right corner of the lake. “lake Isabel mansion” evidently was a popular spot with the “well off” in late 1800's. ^^^^A slide apparently wiped it out, and every bit of evidence that one ever existed. I tried to find the outhouse, so I could look for abandoned stuff, but can't even find ANY evidence one existed. If you have been observant on your way to lake, you have seen evidence of several bridges, and wood support spots, on way in.^^^^If you would like to see remains of a cabin, go by boat up lake until you reach large inlet (about 3/4 up the lake). Go up right side (maybe 200 feet altitude gain) until you can see a sort of plateau to your right. Go maybe the length of a football field or two, and you should see the collapsed remains of a cabin. It had to have been a beautiful, remote area for a cabin. ^^^^Anyway, interesting history to Lake Isabel.”

mossback
            Participant

“By the way, Mr. Super Administrator, I ain't no junior member no more 🙁 I'm “long in the tooth” and archaic in the joints!! – mossback.”

BobPfeifer
              Participant

“Mossback: your note to Sooper Administrator was hilarious!! By the way, I was up near Isabel earlier this summer. I just HAD to see the remains of the powerhouse and 10-foot Pelton wheel that Phil Woodhouse and others have in their “Blue Book” on NW mining history (pages 115-119). It was an absolute GAS to see and photograph this structure that sits right next to May Creek. You and I have walked past it numerous times!! It is just below a small break in the terrain and can't be seen from the trail. I was also at an old stringer bridge crossing on May Creek with a DNR engineer recently because they are planning some more logging in that area. Things continue to evolve in that area with lots of off-road bike, quad, and 4×4 activity. A few years ago when I last hiked to the lake itself, there was amazing crossings of the creek surprisingly high on the ridgeline. I doubt very much that the fellow you replied to would see any of the features that you recall since the trees have grown up, wood continues to rot away, and people are stirring things around with their tires, or taking things from the forest floor.”

Cliff Church
                Participant

“Mossback – were the remains of the old miner's cabin at the outlet visible when you were there? I was first at this lake as an invading boy scout in 1966, and I don't recall any structures anywhere on the south end of Isabel. I do recall the mineshaft, however. ^^^^Thanks,^^Cliff”

mossback
                  Participant

“1966 (5/29) was my 1st trip, too. I don't think a cabin was at outlet until early 70's; I'll check my slide index and find the year I took a photo; that should give the year. A few excerpts from my 1966 trip report: “lake free of ice; snow almost all gone; trail last 1/2 mile wet & sloppy. Turnoff hard to find. Fishing terrible; nobody catching anything; lot of traffic good lake for rubber boat fishing; few campsites. I have several trip reports for later years (I went to Isabel over Memorial week end for quite a few years to “measure” when lakes in Stevens Pass area would be opening; don't think I ever caught a fish over Memorial week end). Several years, I also spent 2-3 days at lake later in year. Some years, Brook Trout fishing was very good. If you are interested in details, Salish, e mail me off-line and I'll e mail you some details.”

mossback
                    Participant

“At the moment, I have found titles to 4 slides about cabins: 1981 – cabin remains, 1984 – cabin site remains before cleanup, 1984 – cabin site remains after cleanup, 1985 – old miner's cabin near turnoff to lake (he built it on old logging road). Unfortunately, the slides are in hands of person who will be scanning them–sometime. I haven't examined all my indexes; may have another photo or two. Anyway, that's it for now. – mossback”

Cliff Church
                      Participant

“Mossback, ^^^^thank you for the information and details. I've been out of town or else I would have responded sooner. I appreciate your info on the cabin remains. There's another TB'er who might be interested, too. I'll email you off line.^^^^Thanks^^Cliff”

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.