Lakes and snow in 2002

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Lakes and snow in 2002

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Sandy McKean
      Participant

The Trail Blazers have just stated this forum. We did it so the public would have a chance to interact with us. So far of course there is little traffic…..so here’s something at least.

We all know this is a late snow year. Lots of us have been doing “training” hikes and have observed many lakes first hand. It would seem the consensus is that solid snow levels are at 4000′ on south slope and 3000′ on north with lakes 4500′ and above mostly frozen on the west side. East side level are somwhat higher, but not much. On warm days we can lose maybe 6″ per day, so these levels can change a lot in a week this time of year.

Dave Weyrick
        Participant

I spent Tuesday and Wednesday at a lake that was 40% open at 5500′ in the NE Olympics. I enjoyed beautiful sunshine while catching 8″-10″ CT from my Curtis raft in addition to 360 degree views and a 99% moon from the ridge at 6200′ where I camped. Floating around with the lake ice made the whole experience quite surreal. I plan to scope out a 6000′ lake across the valley in a week or two.:D

Ken McLeod
          Participant

“Dave, most Olympic lakes thaw out sooner than do Cascade ones, especially in the rain shadow (NE. Olympics). many 6,000 ft. lakes around there usually open in June…been hiking/climbing over there for many years. At present, I see very little Cascade lakes manily on the West side thawing out to any degree yet…lakes from 3,000 feet up are still covered an awful lot. None around 4,500′ even hint of opening for a while. I am out about 3 times per week now gaining lots of excercise climbing on and up peaks. And though I have seen alot of snow come off in just the last two weeks on Mt. Pilchuck, there is still a tremedous amount up there, went to the summit again yesterday (6-26-02). One thing is usually a norm, the Olympics always thaw out quicker, so you should expect high lake fishing there first…at least that’s always been my take.”

Brian Curtis
            Keymaster

I was fishing a lake at 4300′ today and there was no snow anywhere near by. But it was down/over in Yakima County and appears to have winter killed this year. Cayuse Pass (4675′) still had lots of snow hanging around. No snow right at White Pass (4500′) but some snow was visible in the upper parts of the ski area.

Ken McLeod
              Participant

“Interesting? I wish some of the lakes around here in Snohomish Co. would thaw quicker, but I suspect they will in due time – just more snowpack this year with an awful lot of avalanche debris too, as witnessed at Headlee Pass Basin and Morning Star Basin a week back. “

Cliff Church
                Participant

“Sandy, I have a climber buddy who gives me reports almost weekly on lake conditions. Here’s his latest report for an eastside lake I’ve never heard of (Gallager Lake):Eastside ice report: Gallagher Head Lake, ca. 5600′ is almost completely frozen over as 27 June. Cliff”

Brian Curtis
                  Keymaster

Things are starting to open up. We were up at Otter and Azurite (4520) over the weekend. Both were open and there wasn’t a lot of snow around.

Ken McLeod
                    Participant

“he’s been sneakin’ out, that Mr. Curtis, and now he’s fessing up…we thought you’d be stretchin your legs soon…grin. Lordy, look out high country here we come! Should be a flower show in the next week or so almost everywhere. Well, where’s the fishing report?”

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.