Looking for first year high lakes

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Looking for first year high lakes

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      jnoyes1026
      Participant

Hey guys and gals new to the site and l am looking for a few lakes that would be good for a 1-2 night stay. It will be my first year doing high mountain fishing so I am not quite sure what to expect for shore access. I have been doing lots of research and I think I have all the gear tips down. Now I just am in need of some recommendations on lakes with decent access. I was thinking in the area of HWY 2 or north. I picked up a book 100 hikes in Washington’s alpine lakes but it doesn’t have any info on if it is fish able on 95% of them. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

John

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

Hi John, welcome to the site. You’ll have a great time learning to fish high lakes. You really can’t go wrong with pretty much any lake. Once you gain some experience you’ll be able to start picking up maps and looking for blue spots. In the meantime, I’d go read Trout Fishing in Washington’s High Lakes on the WDFW website. Their list of recommended lakes is a good place to start. Many of those lakes have lots of easy to catch, but small, fish. But that is a great way to get started and catch the bug.

jnoyes1026
          Participant

Hey thanks for the fast response. I am so excited about going out in June-July for some fishing. It will be nice to just get away from the crowds and have some quiet.

On the WDFW site it lists many lakes but I have some that I have looked into that aren’t listed. Should I consider these lakes as barren?

Brian Curtis
            Keymaster

Not at all. Very few lakes are barren. The recommendations on the WDFW site are places that can generally handle increased pressure from being recommended destinations. Almost all lakes outside of national parks will have fish.

John Corallo
              Participant

John,

We do quite a few “plantings” during the year and if you are interested on coming along e-mail me or Brian and we could have you tag along.

Google the area lakes along the Mad River by Lake Wenatchee.. Easy hike in and fine camping

John Shackleton

jnoyes1026
                Participant

Yea I would be interested in helping out with some plantings if you would have me. I might need about 1-2 weeks of notice because of my wierd work schedule.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.