Looking for good fishing hole this July

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Looking for good fishing hole this July

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Travis Scudder
      Participant

Good Evening! I am new to the Hilakers and saw that there is a need for a survey at Lake Malachite! My friend and I are planning a backpacking trip to Malachite, Copper and Little heart. We are trying to keep it under 6 miles in and nothing to crazy. We will be on float tubes looking to catch some fish.

Can anyone share a promising area to fish in that is similar to the Foss Lakes area? Maybe a place that has a couple lakes in the area, around 50 acres in size?

Thanks!

Keith Peter
        Participant

I would look at getting above Trout Lake early in the day because as soon as the sun his the switchbacks above Trout Lake it can get hot. So drink lots of water. It’s a relatively easy hike since you are on trail. Spent a long weekend up there last summer in my rafts. Are you looking at fishing multiple lakes or heading to one lake?

Travis Scudder
          Participant

Keith,

We would like to do more than one lake if possible. Trying to see if there are any other recommendations for spots similar to Copper / Malachite where a small day hike can bring you to new fishing grounds while leaving camp set up at another lake.

Keith Peter
            Participant

Keep in mind that Malachite is a side trail off the main trail. So if you want to be away from the crowd then camp there. You are within easy hiking distance to Copper, Lil Heart, and Big heart. Don’t know if you plan on packing a raft but that will increase your chances of catching fish. This area does get hit pretty hard by hikers. Make sure you remove anything in your vehicle that might want to entice any riff raff to let themselves in your car.

Brian Curtis
              Keymaster

[quote quote=112561] Maybe a place that has a couple lakes in the area, around 50 acres in size?[/quote]

Why are you looking for such large lakes in particular? Small lakes are often better fishing.

Travis Scudder
                Participant

@Keith,

I am going to be packing a Wilderness Lite Float tube that is 3 pounds and stuffs into a 9inch stuff sack. Thank you for the advice!

@Ben, We just figured we’d have luck on a larger lake if we could find out. I am just not too familair with the area (High Lake wise) to get out and go. I want to make sure there are fish in the lakes where I am headed. Do you know of the Foss Lakes area gets hit pretty hard by othe fisherman?

Brian Curtis
                    Keymaster

Yes, the Foss Lakes area does get hit pretty hard. But most of the lakes have lots of fish. You’ll have a great time up there.

You don’t really have to worry about whether or not there will be fish. You’d be surprised at where you’ll find fish and you will discover that exploring every single blue dot you can find on the map will generally be worth your while. It doesn’t matter if there are trails or not or how remote the lakes are. The only real exceptions are the national parks where, with the exception of the North Cascades National Park, fish are not stocked.

Keith Peter
                    Participant

Yea I packed a couple of rafts in there last year for the wife, dog and myself. We stayed at the other side of Big Heart. Got up the next day and paddled down the lake and went over to Angeline, then up to Chetwoot. Fishing was fair especially with the rafts. You will find most of the fishermen fish the lakes where the trail comes close to it. So if you paddle to the other side you should do well. Its a beautiful area I usually go in on a Thursday. Good luck

Daleklo
                      Participant

Are the Golden Lakes stocked? The Eagle lakes, etc. Very much appreciated!

Brian Curtis
                        Keymaster

Do you mean the Golden Lakes in Mt Rainier NP? No lakes in Mt Rainier or Olympic National Parks are stocked. There are quite a few lakes with naturally reproducing populations, but we can’t stock fish in those National Parks.

Edit: I just noticed your other post so now I know what you mean by the Golden Lakes. You should find fish in all those lakes.

There are a couple sets of Eagle Lakes. Do you mean the ones in the Okanogan? They are not stocked but contain naturally reproducing fish.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Brian Curtis.
                          JOSHUA BURCK
                          Keymaster

You should have no problem finding fish in any lakes up on Foss lakes from my experience. Some other areas if your looking for lots of lakes close to each other include Mosquito valley by White Pass and Indian Heaven come to mind.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.