Miller river road

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      bavnuts88
      Participant

With all the things like the road near Bedal Camp being out, Im changing my mind and am thinking of going up this road(Miller River). Looks like plenty of small and large lakes. Looking at my atlas, I can see tons of small lakes off of Camp Robber valley road.
        Is this accessible with a truck?
        If not, could I take my mountain bike?

The lakes look pretty close to the trail, which hopefully would make good for me, being my first time hiking up to lakes in this state.

Which one would be good?
        Dorothy, Charlie, Camp robber lake, Little Heart, Bear, deer, etc?

Any recommendations for a first timer that doesnt want to go to an extremely hard hit lake? I have a mountain bike, if that helps.

Thanks.
        Daniel

mcmahon2005
        Participant

Dorothy is the easiet one to get too. Most of the others are off trail. Im assuming this will be your first hiking experience so you may want to stick with an easier hike until you get to know what you can and cannot do. So out of those i would chose Dorothy but i still would reccomend any of the hikes i listed on the WFF site.

bavnuts88
          Participant

I might venture off a bit, but not a whole lot. The smaller ones look close, or not too much farther from the trail as Dorothy. Im probably wrong. I might check them out.

How far of a hike is this to Dorothy?
            Looks like I might be able to follow a creek to another lake.

Brian Curtis
            Keymaster

A mountain bike doesn’t do you much good because those lakes are in wilderness and bikes aren’t allowed. Dorothy is an easy hike but gets pounded. You’ll drop a lot people going past it to Deer and Bear, but they still get quite a bit of traffic. The other lakes in the area like the Charlies and Camp Robber are cross-country and have a lot of nasty brush.

Little Heart would be a nice destination. That trail gets a lot of traffic but is a really nice trip. You go past Trout Lake and Copper Lake and can take a side trip to Malachite. And you can stop at any of those lakes if you don’t want to go further. Or you can press in to Big Heart. But if you are going by yourself a good trail with some people around isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Brian Curtis
              Keymaster

I forgot to answer your first question. The hike to Dorothy is quite short, less then 2 miles, I think.

You don’t want to follow creeks anywhere in that area if you want to come home in one piece.

bavnuts88
                Participant

I am going by myself. Thats why I dont wanna venture off too far. Until I find a partner that is.

How far can I drive up?

Thanks for the help.

Brian Curtis
                  Keymaster

You can get up to the end of the road. You’re at about 1900 feet. here’s the Forest Service page and another description.

Don’t forget you’ll need a NW Forest Pass on your car.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.