NCNP EIS meeting schedule

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion NCNP EIS meeting schedule

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Brian Curtis
      Keymaster

The NCNP EIS process is extremely important. It is vital that as many people get involved as possible. Here is the public meeting schedule so I encourage everyone to attend a meeting and send written comments.

During the week of July 25 (approx. 60 days after the start of the comment period), the NPS will hold public meetings at the following locations to receive input on the contents of the draft plan/EIS:

Monday, July 25, 2005: Best Western Cottontree Inn, 2300 Market Street, Mount Vernon, WA

Tuesday, July 26, 2005: Sheraton Bellevue Hotel, 100 112th Avenue N.E., Bellevue, WA

Wednesday, July 27, 2005: The Mountaineers Headquarters, 300 Third Avenue West, Seattle, WA

Thursday, July 28, 2005: Red Lion Hotel, 1225 North Wenatchee Avenue, Wenatchee, WA

All meetings will follow the same format. The meetings will take place from 7-9 p.m. (the doors will open at 6:30). The NPS will give very brief welcoming remarks, then solicit public comments for the duration of the meeting. Each commenter will be given three minutes to speak. The three-minute timeframe will ensure that everyone who desires to speak will be able to do so. A court reporter will record all oral comments.

sooperfly
        Participant

Here is an article in tonights Wenatchee World.

http://www.wenworld.com/sub/print.php?id=1118431354-635-861

allison
          Participant

Slighty off-topic, but I was in the Park and Ross Lk NRA all weekend. I couldn’t fish the lake because I didn’t have any single hooks on me, but I heard the buggers weren’t biting anyway, so no matter.

Ahhnyway, between getting the overnight permit and getting said permit checked at the campsite, I spoke with four Park Rangers, none of who knew really anything about the EIS. They don’t have copies of it at the Marblemount office and they don’t even seem to know anything about it. I asked one guy what he knew about this so-called mess in Green Berdeen and he asked me to show him where they were on a map. Then he said he was a Law Enforcement Ranger actually, and that well, what’s an EIS again?:shock:

I don’t mean to turn this into a rant on the NCNP rangers, they’re a good lot, and generally have had decent answers to my questions, but I was pretty surprised that they are not prepared in any way to talk about something that represents pretty substantive policy change in the Park.

If anyone has a contact at NCNP who could help with this public information disconnect, shoot me a PM or post here on where I could send an email to get this matter addressed. I think the rangers should at least know *something* is going on so they can direct the oublic to the public comment process.

Allison Woods

PS. The rangers at Marblemount were at least aware that such a document exists, and will have someone send me a copy of the EIS on Monday.

Anonymous

Asking every park ranger you come across about the EIS is like asking a foot soldier about national defense policy making. Most rangers (which are summer/temp hires) worry about policy/laws that are in force, not something that is in the developmental process and at regional/national level. If you want to talk to someone about the EIS, call the ranger station in Sedro Woolley, they whould be able to help you.

On the hooks issue, just take a pair of pliers and snip off the extra two hooks (just make sure it is not the main hook). If needed, snip off the barb. I’d rather do this than miss some fishing, it has worked for me many times.

Brian Curtis
              Keymaster

Well, the public EIS meetings are over. There were four meetings and a grand total of one person who was not a Trail Blazer or Hi-Laker testified and he was in favor of alternative A (continue current stocking).

Sandy McKean
                Participant

So take it to heart all you supposed high lake fishers……apparently you are a made of paper like the proverbial tiger. You should be ashamed.

sooperfly
                  Participant

Brian,

Sorry I couldn’t make the Wenatchee meeting…. I just got back from a 9 day vacation in Idaho that was paid for over a year ago. I wasn’t going to cancel that. 😥

At least the fishing was good… 😀

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.