NCNP on KUOW

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Brian Curtis
      Keymaster

Short notice:

They will be discussing fish stocking in NCNP during the noon hour today on KUOW (94.9 or streamed and podcast at http://kuow.org/). Among the guests to be interviewed will be our own Sandy McKean. The segment will probably air between 12:00 and 12:20.

Joshua Cowart
        Participant

Thanks for the heads up Brian.

Good job on the interview Sandy. I think you are really doing a nice job on this. You sound really level headed, honest, and you get all the important information about the issue out quickly and concisely.

Andy Schmidt
          Participant

I too thought you did a great job Sandy.

Brian Curtis
            Keymaster

You can hear the segment here. It starts at 5:08 and runs until 13:00.

I thought Sandy did a great job, too.

And my music trivia of the day: the bumper music you hear when you tune in at about 5:08 is from a song by the group Television.

Sandy McKean
              Participant

Thanks all.

It’s pretty hard to think straight when you only have 5 minutes (and as many folks know….talking short is NOT my forte :)).

I thought I did pretty well, and did what had to be done, but I do regret one omission. After the UW biologist Daniel Schindler spoke, I should have stated that Mr Schindler might be correct in some contexts, but not in this NCNP situation since his comments were based on effects of high density, reproducing fish populations whereas in the NCNP case we are talking about low density, non-reproducing populations (where the effects he mentioned do not occur). That would have better connected his comments to mine instead of it seeming that there was just 2 different opinions of the same thing.

Clearly, Mr Schindler does not well understand the NCNP situation. His comments are the typical ones we get from biologists who have not educated themselves on the NCNP situation (specifically as documented in the EIS), but rather simply apply what they’ve read regarding studies done in such places as the high Sierra where distinctions of fish population density are not clearly drawn. It would have been better if KUOW had used a WDFW or NCNP biologist familar with the NCNP situation.

Ken Masel
                Participant

A shorter version of the soundclip, which just includes the NCNP portion of the radio show is here.

Rich OConnell
                  Keymaster

Sandy – nice job. You handled the questions well. Also it was good that you spoke after the UW biologist as you were able to counter many of the statements he made.

Jim Welch
                    Participant

@Rich OConnell wrote:

Sandy – nice job. You handled the questions well. Also it was good that you spoke after the UW biologist as you were able to counter many of the statements he made.

Did you notice how the UW guy was demonizing the fish, calling them “Voracious Predators”. The only thing I thought was missing from the interview is that all we are talking is less than 20 percent of the NCNP lakes.

Sandy McKean
                      Participant

….missing from the interview is that all we are talking is less than 20 percent of the NCNP lakes.

I agree. That’s another thing I wish I had said.

P.S. I’ve suggested that KUOW do a longer live re-match in a debate format — perhaps with a more knowledgable person from the other side such as someone from NCCC. We’ll see if they are interested enough to pursue it.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.