New to the forum!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Trout-NinJa
      Participant

Hi my name is TJ, 25 years young and have just recently gotten into alpine lake fishing. I mostly hike out around the mountain loop highway area just outside of Granite. I really don’t see many other fisherman around honestly, wonder why? A lot of the fish are smaller Brookies, Rainbows, and Cutts. Average size around 7-11 inches, even though I did pull out a 16 inch Cutt this year. I fish and release, just fish for fun with friends and my pops.

I do have a few questions if anybody would like to share!

What is your lure of choice out in these types of lakes? – I use rooster tails and number 1 dick nites.

Biggest trout caught out recently out of an Alpine type lake?

Where can i find some German Browns to catch?

And finally, if anybody has some good spots they’d like to share with good fishing? I have a few i could share as well.

Thanks for the time, best of luck! – TJ

Sandy McKean
        Participant

These are often asked questions. I will give you what I consider to be the “best” answers. I am serious with these answers. Some may think these answers are just being facetious, but I really honestly believe these are the answers to your questions. (Note the alpine fishery is defined as occurring in lakes above 3500′ on the east side and 2500′ on the west.)

What is your lure of choice out in these types of lakes? – I use rooster tails and number 1 dick nites.

Pretty much any small lure will do since there is little food in WA alpine lakes (on the west side at least), so the fish are opportunistic feeders. Having said that, many folks seem to like Jake’s Spin-a-Lures. Many consider fly fishing the most satisfying — sometimes only flies will work. Flies on a bubble can be necessary when there is no back-casting room (unless you have a raft).

Biggest trout caught out recently out of an Alpine type lake?

80% of the time you will catch 7″ to 10″ trout. At the right lake at the right time consider yourself lucky to tie into 12′ to 16″. Trout larger than 20″ occasionally occur. (I saw one at 26″ once).

Where can i find some German Browns to catch?

Browns are up there in a handful of lakes. Keeping fishing and you’ll get one eventually.

And finally, if anybody has some good spots they’d like to share with good fishing? I have a few i could share as well.

Best think to do is, just look for blue spots on a topo map and go there. Off trail results in better fishing. Not all lakes have fish. Many lakes have stunted populations (especially with Brookies) due to biological management mistakes of the past. The alpine fishery in western Washington is a fishery of discovery….that’s the joy DISCOVERY…..catching fish is just a bonus. Be prepared to spend years.

Brian Curtis
          Keymaster

If the lake is shallow I like 3/8 oz Kamlooper or Daredevil spoons. For deeper lakes I like to go up to 1/4 oz Spin-a-lure, or maybe a Krocodile lures. If trolling from a boat I like F7 Flatfish. There are lots of other effective lures available but for various reasons those are my favorites. I generally like to use red/brass combos but try to keep some variations with black in my box, too.

While they are extremely effective I’m not a fan of Rooster Tails because they are lousy casting lures and notorious line twisters. I’m too lazy and impatient to deal with them, but I know lots of people who swear by them. Dick Nites are best as trolling lures so I think some of the other lures mentioned here are better for high lakes.

Dave Weyrick
            Participant

Welcome to the forum. i wish i was not over double your age so i’d have some chance to visit and fish half the places i’d like to go. Checkout this link for some lure info viewtopic.php?f=1&t=222

Check out this link for some big fish info viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62

Consider coming to a Trail Blazer or Hi-Laker meeting soon to learn as much as you have time to learn.

Trout-NinJa
              Participant

Thanks for the welcome guys. I would definitely attend one of those trail blazer or hi-laker meetings, i think i am going to check into that. Is there info on here to do so?

allison
                Participant

Hi Laker info on the front page. Trale Balzer meetings r @ the Lake City Community Center, first Thursday of the month, 730 pm. This coming week. Come on by, it is the end of stocking season so there will be some kewl stuff for us to discuss.

EstellaFields
                  Participant

Hi, everyone! I’m new here 🙂 My name is Estella. I was wondering – what is the best and most romantic place to go fishing with a bf? (yes, i am one of those girls that find fishing romantic – lake, mountains… 🙂 )

Mick Scott
                    Participant

@EstellaFields wrote:

Hi, everyone! I’m new here 🙂 My name is Estella. I was wondering – what is the best and most romantic place to go fishing with a bf? (yes, i am one of those girls that find fishing romantic – lake, mountains… 🙂 )

This is spam isn’t it? Note the link in the bottom – PDF etc –

Sandy McKean
                      Participant

This is spam isn’t it?

It might be, but not likely since spammers do not make customized posts….that is, the spammer would not know that this forum is about fishing.

This forum has been continually hacked in recent months by spammers, but the form of those spam messages looks very different from this one.

Brian Curtis
                        Keymaster

I let that one go because it appeared to be written by a human and the linked site appeared to be ad-free. That being said, it was posted from Great Britain and is probably a human spammer rather then the bots we’ve been getting hammered by. She hasn’t visited again since the post first went up.

Sandy McKean
                          Participant

Brian, you know far more about this than I……do you know how a spammer can “afford” to write “subject appropriate” spam messages?

I guess I can imagine it. A program reads the forum and finds the most commonly used words and places them in a sexually charged message (“I’m one of those girls”……”romantic place”) with a verb related word “fishing” (which would be a high incidence word here), along with some pure nouns “mountains”, “lake” (again high incidence) as a plausible human message. OTOH, I would think there would be a request to click on something rather than to leave to chance that someone might click on a signature link.

Now I’m starting to lean toward Mick’s excellent instincts :).

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.