Royal Lakes (was Charlia Lakes) – Request for Info

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Royal Lakes (was Charlia Lakes) – Request for Info

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      RandyFl
      Participant

“A friend and I are planning a three day / two night hiking trip to fish a lake or two in the Olympics. We are making this trip in a couple of weeks and are considering Charlia Lakes and Royal Lake at the moment, though we haven't necessarily narrowed it to that. So, I have a few questions about these lakes that I thought folks here migh be able to help me out with.^^^^^^What's the best way into Charlia?^^^^This is interesting because what I usually read is to come in via Marmot pass even though that makes the one way trip over 10 miles. Meanwhile, it seems that for an easier overall altitude gain and a one way trip of under 8 miles you can start at the Upper Dungeness Trail as if you were going to Royal Basin^^^^What should we expect in terms of fishing?^^^^I've read in the past (ca. 1993) that the second, larger lake contained eastern brook trout and that the first lake was just a pothole. However, I've seen it written this year that the larger lake is now stocked with cutthroat. Anyone know what's there now?^^^^We are mainly planning to fly fish. What's the area around the lake like? Any idea if I'll find a decent spot to cast a line or if there are close in holes worth fishing?^^^^Is Royal Lake worth fishing?^^^^I have read one or two items about fishing in Royal Basin. It sounds like the hike might be slightly easier than Charlia. It also sounds like we are more likely to have a lot more company. Is it a decent lake for fishing though?^^^^^^If anyone has recent or general information that might be helpful, I'd be grateful. I'm definitely itching to get out there!^^^^Randy.^^^^[Edited on 7-22-2003 by RandyFl]”

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

“Charlia contained eastern brooks until 1973. In that year the stunted brookies were removed with rotenone. A couple species of fish have been planted over the years but they are now managed for cutthroat. You need to examine your maps more closely to determine the best route in. You can always find a place to fly fish if you carry a boat.^^^^I've never been to Royal, but I know it does have fish.”

RandyFl
          Participant

“Thanks for the info, makes me want to fish it even more! However, in looking at the hike a bit more I think it's a bit more difficult than we want to tackle for this trip (4000' elevation gain either way). So, we now have reservations for Royal Lake.^^^^So, if anyone has experience with fishing Royal Lake, please let me know.”

brownster145
            Participant

“Well, I don't have any personal experience with Royal Lake, but a hiking book I have from 1990 says that it is “brimming with hungry trout”.^^^^Take it for what it's worth. ^^^^More than likely, you'll catch fish.^^^^Andrew”

Anonymous

I have fished both these lakes.^^^^Royal in 1986 and Charlia in 1995.^^^^Contact me at michael.g.quinn@boeing.com for how to get to Charlia via Tunnel creek or the Dungeness. Both are easy routes.^^^^MQ^^^^;)

Anonymous

TEST

Anonymous

I recently found this website and was quite pleased as I really enjoy fishing the mountain lakes. I’m not a trailblazer but my dad was. I know this is a little after the fact but figured I’d throw my two cents about someone else’s query about these lakes. Charlia was planted with eastern brook in the mid thirties. It was poisoned in the 70’s and planted with Atlantic Salmon. Some reached substantial size….upwards of 30 inches. This is only a rough estimate from shore as I was never able to hook one. These eventually all died out and it was planted with cutthroat about 12 years ago. It should be pointed out that I’m referring to the lower lake. The upper lake is shallow and is frozen until late in the year. I’ve never observed fish in the upper lake. Royal lake was planted with Eastern Brook in the mid 30’s as well and has had a natural spawn since then. Most are rather small with large heads however.

Brian Curtis
                    Keymaster

Hi RP, glad you found the site. Your dad must be Don Brown? He was a member from 1949-1951.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.