Snow Pack?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      caveman
      Participant

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the snow pack is? I am planning a hike nid July and plan on goin around 5100ft. Hope the snow has melted by then.

Adam

mcmahon2005
        Participant

can you be more specific on where your going.

caveman
          Participant

This side of Stevens pass.

Brian Curtis
            Keymaster

5100′ is fairly high for a west side lake. But the snow is coming off quickly this year. I would think you’d have a good shot by mid-July but there will probably still be some snow around. Hopefully someone who has been out more then me and has a better feel for the snowpack will give you a better answer.

caveman
              Participant

Thanks, I’ll be on the west side of Steven Pass.

Adam

Brian Curtis
                Keymaster

West side lakes get more snow so they take longer to thaw out. 5100′ on the east side would be fine, the west side more iffy. It really depends on the exposure.

Kathy
                  Keymaster

As mentioned previously, eastside melts out earlier. For example, Lake Caroline in the Enchantments was melted out (5xxx feet) over 2 weeks ago. I camped/fished @ Eightmile last weekend – 4600′ – zero snow.

Trip reports from last weekend have the west side snow level at about 3900; so add 100-200′ to that. Of course this all depends on the sun exposure of where you are going. I would monitor wta.org and secondarily nwhikers.net for snow level conditions.

Hey I think this is my first post here!

Edit: No snow whatsoever @ 3000 feet Stampede Pass area off of I90 yesterday – snow level was WAY high as in almost non-existent. Same as Saturday lol.

Sandy McKean
                    Participant

I flew in a small plane over the Chetwoot/Angeline area last Monday. I’d say no snow = 4000′ patchy = 4500′; lakes melted = 5000′; solid snow above that. YMMV of course depending on location and exposure.

Kid fishin
                      Participant

snow above 6000ft in the alpine lakes area

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.