Treble to single siwash on spoons

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Treble to single siwash on spoons

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      aaronbodell
      Participant

In an effort to not mangle the searuns and in keeping within regs, I’ve switched all of my spoons (kastmasters, TBs, syclops, superdupers, hotrods, etc.) to single barbless siwash gamis. So the question of the day, if you’re looking at top of the spoon with the hooking trailing, should the hook face barb up or barb down? Sounds like a silly question, but is there a preferred method?

Oh, and Bob P, I dropped your name to my uncle Gene DiDonato and he gave me a smile and mentioned you had worked together with he was at WDFW.

Thanks,

Bronc

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

This is a great question. I’m hoping someone will come up with an answer. I sure don’t know.

mcmahon2005
          Participant

As far as hooking fish, i dont think it really matters. But isf the hook point is up it will help avoid snags better.

brownster145
            Participant

On a traditional spoon, the hook point should face “up” with the cup. Traditional spoons “wag” back and forth as the cup digs through the water. Since the goal is to hook fish in the top jaw, the point should be above rather than underneath the lure.

That said, I’m not very familiar with the action of a SuperDuper… seems like it’s not very spoon-y. I’m referring more to Krocodiles or Little Cleos (Kastmasters probably fit the bill too).

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.