Westslope Cutthroat lakes

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Westslope Cutthroat lakes

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      windrider00
      Participant

Greetings. I bought a washington fishing guide which seems pretty informative as to fish species in most lakes, however, when it mentions lakes with cutthroat trout, it just states “cutthroat”. I fished a couple lakes (in Oregon as well) and it seems that the cutts mentioned are the coastal cutts which closely resemble rainbow trout from what I’ve gathered. I was wondering if washington (and oregon for that matter) stock any high lakes with westslope cutts and if so, how would I find out which lakes these would be? You all have been a wealth of knowledge so I figure this would be the best place to go.

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

Westslope cutthroat are stocked in lakes on the east side of the mountains and coastal cutts are stocked in lakes on the west side (their native drainages). The only west side exceptions are Skamania and most of Lewis counties where the cutthroat being stocked are westslope.

The eggs for the westslope cutts are taken from Twin Lakes near Lake Wenatchee. These fish are well adapted to mountain lakes, and that can be a problem. If there is any spawning habitat available at all they’ll take advantage of it. Consequently, we have lots and lots of lakes on the west side of the crest that are full of westslope cutts. Mostly too full.

If you want to catch westslope cutts, high lakes are a great place to do it.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.