when does it start?

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion when does it start?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      bavnuts88
      Participant

When does the season start for hiking and fishing the high lakes? Are there any lakes worth going to right now for fishing?

Im just too impatient!

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

Everything is still frozen now. Some of the lower lakes will start opening up in late May and June. This time of year you’re better off heading to low lakes in eastern WA or some of the foothill lakes on the west side.

mcmahon2005
          Participant

It depends on your definition of “high” lakes. I know Barclay Lake usually melts out late april. Theres some other sub 2500′ lakes that most people consider alpine lakes like Lipsy Lake and Trout Lake. That said a true high lake is above 2500′ on the west side. So really you have to wait until may or june.

bavnuts88
            Participant

I just wanna get out there. Bassin sucks right now, and I dont like catching farm raised. Some bluegill would be nice though

bavnuts88
              Participant

Im going to Barclay today to try the inlet. Anybody going up anytime soon to the higher lakes? I got an itch to go!!!!

Brian Curtis
                Keymaster

Some of the higher lakes are opening up. Especially in the southern Cascades. The season has started.

giantbrookie
                  Participant

Greetings from California. For those of you who don’t mind traveling a bit, the winter was extremely mild in California and especially the Sierra Nevada, resulting in the earliest thaw since 1988. High lakes that normally do not open up until late June were open in early to mid May and I’ve exploited this with the most early trips I’ve done in a good 15 years. An enormous number of lakes are open right now compared to the usual this time of year. I certainly know the cabin fever feeling of waiting for that long delayed thaw, looking at topos and daydreaming while sipping on an IPA… Here in Central California (moved to Fresno 2 years ago) the high country itch gets further aggravated as temps rise toward the 100F range. Anyhow, if many of you are getting impatient, there are plenty of lakes in the Sierras to go around.

Cheers,

John

bavnuts88
                    Participant

I grew up in Madera fishing mainly Eastman and Hensley. Big big bass in Eastman

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.