Wind River Mountain Range

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Wind River Mountain Range

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      caveman
      Participant

Headed to the Winds for two weeks with my uncle. Plan on Hiking for 10 days and a round 60 plus miles. Will give a report when we get back. Starting at Boulder Lake area….. Anyone been there before?

Adam

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

Yep, I’ve been through there. The Winds are Mecca for high lake anglers. You won’t be disappointed. What’s your rough itinerary?

caveman
          Participant

We are gonna make it up past golden lakes and up into alpine lake area.

caveman
            Participant

We are driving down leaving on the 1st of August. Plan to start hiking on the 3 and make it 9 night and 10 days.

kaiserdavep
              Participant

Climbed Gannet Peak via Titcomb Basin/Dinwoody pass. Stinkin’ hot and thick clouds of mosquitoes at Titcomb Lake. Took a long break in an ice cave near the Goose Neck Pinnacle on the way back down from Gannet. Did not fish that trip.

Brian Curtis
                Keymaster

@caveman wrote:

We are gonna make it up past golden lakes and up into alpine lake area.

That should be a great trip. I’ve been through the Golden Lakes and on to Camp Lake and beyond, but we didn’t go up to the Alpine Lakes. They should be gorgeous. You could make a super nice loop by continuing past the Alpine Lakes to the north and then over Indian Pass to get back down onto the main trail system. That’s basically what we did, but we went by the lakes NE of the Alpine Lakes and made a bigger circle around to Indian Pass.

caveman
                  Participant

Ya we are gonna make a lay over at camp lake and explore some of the lakes to the north east and then head north west through alpine lakes on the following day and go over Indian pass and make the loop back. Looking for some bigger trout up in that area. We hope to make it up to Camp lake on Day 3 and stay Day 4 there and then head out after that.

caveman
                    Participant

Wow what a trip. 60 plus miles in 8 days. Weather is crazy at 10,000 to 12,000 feet fro sun, wind, rain, hail and snow in August. Started at Boulder lake trail head, went thru Golden Lakes up to Alpine lakes thru Hay Pass, around to Knife Point glacier through Indian pass back down through Island lakes and over Larson Pass. Followed the highland trail pretty much the whole way down past lake george and and Blueberry lake on the way out. Hell of a hike.

Brian Curtis
                      Keymaster

Sounds like a great trip! I’d love to see a few pictures (hint, hint). :camping:

caveman
                        Participant

I was going to but picks are to big so I don’t know how to down load them

Brian Curtis
                          Keymaster

The best way is to upload your pics to a service like flickr or photobucket. They will give you links you can use to post photos on the forum and you don’t have to worry resizing them.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.