Wind river mountain range

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Wind river mountain range

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      caveman
      Participant

Anyone have any info or insight of hiking in Whyoming.

Thx

Adam

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

I’ve been all up and down in every section of the Winds. It is Mecca for high lake anglers. The scenery is incredible, the fishing is incredible, and there is no brush. Go.

Richard Olmstead
          Participant

Ditto what Brian said. I’ve been going there since the 70’s. First to climb, then to fish. Go for it.

Dick

caveman
            Participant

Wheres a good place to start. I got the east and west maps. Would like to do a 50 miler with a cross county day trip or two on the trip. Looking for high alpine and large trout. Im getting a book also on the area. Also whats the deal with getting an guide to take you to the trailheada on the reservation? Is hiking there better then the other winds

Thx
              Adam

Brian Curtis
              Keymaster

We always entered the reservation from the westside, so I don’t have any experiences with the trailheads or guides on the reservation. We did our first hike on the reservation back in the 70s after it had been completely closed for some years. The fishing was incredible. We hit a few of the same lakes a few years later and while they were still good, they weren’t the same as they were that first year.

Elkhart Park is the most popular trailhead. It is huge. Most traffic goes straight to the Titcomb Basin and back. The second most popular destination is probably the Cirque of the Towers out of Big Sandy Opening in the south. Both destinations are spectacular so there is good reason people go there.

You truly can’t go wrong no matter what trip you plan. Cross country is easy so go ahead and plan as much in as you can. Get off the main trails and away from the most popular trails. Make sure you plan your trip so that you go over the crest. If you email me directly I can send you some of our old itineraries and routes.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.