Your spinning rod/reel for high lakes

Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Your spinning rod/reel for high lakes

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      FishOn
      Participant

Just wondering which spinning rod/reel combos that everyone uses when they fish the high lakes for trout. Just trying to spark some activity on this site. It’s my favorite forum :fishing:

I use a cheap ugly stick setup from cabelas so it’s nothing special.
        But I’m looking into getting a G loomis rod. I have a good idea which rod I want but I’m stumped on reels. I fish 4 lb test line.

Anyways, let’s see what you guys and gals are packin’ πŸ˜€

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

I use a 5-wieght fly rod. I add a small Shimano spinning reel on the normal fly reel seat. It works great and can cast a mile. I fish 4-lb line and prefer to fish 3/16 to ΒΌ oz lures. I’m using a 4-piece rod but I need to upgrade that to a 6-piece so it will fit into any pack I’m carrying. I save a bit of weight by using my pack as my protective case instead of carrying a separate hard case.

jnoyes1026
          Participant

Well I am going to be starting this year so no trips yet but I plan to take my 5 weight 5 piece fly rod and reel and also take a back-up light weight spinning reel (which I still need to investigate and purchase) incase I go to a lake with not much room for back casting flys. I always seem to go overkill on line weight but I am going to try out some 4lb test stuff. I think the lowest weight on any of my gear currently for lakes, rivers, salt is 12lb.

Brian Curtis
            Keymaster

When shopping for reels I like to go to Cabella’s website where they list reels by weight and look for the lightest one they have. Looking at the Shimano reels this one weighs 6 oz. That’s not bad. I didn’t go through the other brands. I’m carrying one similar to this Shimano these days but I bought it years ago and this one is listed at 8.9 oz so it is a bit heavy.

jnoyes1026
              Participant

So I ended up at cabelas and bought a shimano sienna 1000 with the rear drag it says it’s 6.9 oz. then for my rod I am still thinking of getting a trailmaster 7’6″ fly-spinning rod. But now I see that cabelas has a fly combo set for $129 with everything needed. Not sure which route I should go. I really like the trailmaster rod due to it having a grip below the reel mount. Let me know what you guys think?

Brian Curtis
                Keymaster

Forget the Trailmaster for fly fishing. If you are going to fly fish get a dedicated fly rod. The Trailmaster should be a nice spinning rod, but it will be a terrible fly rod. Carrying two rods is always an option, though it does add a bit of weight.

jnoyes1026
                  Participant

Ok I saw that the trailmaster was listed as fly/spinning rod and was wondering if it was a low middle endish fly and spinning rod.

FishOn
                    Participant

Anybody think this G-Loomis GL2 782-2S TJR Trout Jig Rod 2pc is a nice pole?

I always carry two poles now ever since my reel busted while pulling in a big cutty.
                      Not only did I lose a big fish, I packed up camp early.

I wouldn’t care so much at a lowland lake, but being 30 miles up the Mt. loop isn’t my favorite spot to have a mishap like that. 😳

Brian, that sounds like a great setup, that’s what I need! I hike/camp at every high lake I go to so versatility is important. :camping:

I’m dying to go fishing I need to go now!
                      This is killing me..
                      :rain:

Brian Curtis
                      Keymaster

It looks like a nice rod, but I wouldn’t use anything with fewer then 4 pieces for high lakes fishing.

Brian
                        Participant

I usually carry a fly rod but have an old Cabela’s Gold Label 4 piece IM6 pack rod and a Mitchell 4410. It casts 3/16 lures (Dardevels) nicely however a casting float with flies seems to catch more fish.

Jim Mighell
                          Participant

I like my 7 piece Cabelas “Make your own-kit rod” that I just kicked my ass to get with it, and built it ; its 4 wt. and 8.5 ft, extremely light weight, that I carry in a 14″ hard case; Finally built it after 5 yrs in the box, putting guides on with 5 minute epoxy and winding thread over the guide feet to hold them on, with more epoxy; not a “Sage” by any means but a delight to cast with. But sometimes I prefer my 3 piece 6′ 9″ rod (3 wt), also Cabelas (came with reel and line for $70.00) That rod will roll cast as far as any fly rod I have ever used; also often use the Curtis technique of mounting the spinning reel on the fly rod handle for the last 40 yrs, works like a charm. When I go bare bones, I use my 5 wt telescopic fly rod (8.5′)(13″folded” purchased from a back east outfit, (can’t remember name), and tape the spinning reel on when necessary.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.